Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Farewell 2019



 Here is one last finish for this decade.  I quilted it on Saturday at our monthly quilting get together in Stoughton and finished sewing the binding last night while watching a Ron Howard documentary on Luciano Pavarotti. I am not in the slightest an opera fan, but this was a wonderful look at the life of one of the world's greatest tenors. Opera fan or not, I highly recommend this documentary which is in theaters and also on streaming services. Google "Pavarotti" to see where it might be available for you.

This fireman-themed quilt will be passed on to a wonderful group which coordinates efforts to give quilts and pillowcases to the children of Massachusetts National Guard soldiers being deployed.

I have two more projects that are almost done; one, a wool appliques piece begun earlier this month, and the other a small Christmas piece. Technically, I still have time to finish that piece before packing things away after the Feast of the Epiphany, January 6th. :-)

Speaking of "finishing," I have decided that "finishing" will be my spirit quilting word for 2020 as I am great at starting things, but sometimes lag behind on "finishing" things. :-) That is not to say that I have not accomplished much quilting during this past year; I plan to document my 2019 work perhaps in my next post. It is to say that I could accomplish a whole lot more if I was a bit more disciplined. :-)

Resolutions for 2020??? Nah, I'm not making any. What's the point? I've already admitted that I am not disciplined. :-)

Goals for 2020??? I'd like to travel more and basically continue to have fun. :-)

Yesterday, my cousin/godchild Kristin and her girls came for a Ladies Lunch day and brought Emma some birthday cards and treats. She was thrilled to see them. You'll notice that I adjusted the age on the birthday cards. It is hard to believe that Emma is now eight. (They thought that she was only four or five.) The time has flown by since Trixie was only a toddler when I got Emma.) She continues to be a joyful presence.



Two more recommendations for you . . .

Do you need an escape from the news and turmoil of the day?  If you have Netflix, visit the good folks in Virgin River. The series is based on the books by Robin Carr, and I promise you will enjoy watching her words brought to the screen. The casting is darn near perfect. There are eight episodes available, but more will be coming in June. Trust me; you will enjoy it.


The Two Popes . . .  I viewed this intelligent film on Netflix last week, and I am still thinking about it. The acting is brilliant. Anthony Hopkins as Pope Benedict XVI  is as always masterful, but Jonathan Pryce as the future Pope Francis is equally Oscar worthy. It is actually three films woven into one: a conversation between the conservative Pope Benedict and the Jesuit trained, reformed minded Bishop Jorge Bergoglio, a mini biopic on Bergolio's life, and a look at the horrors of the 1970s in Argentina. Now, you might think that this doesn't sound all that interesting, but truly it is. It is especially thought provoking for those who practice the Catholic faith, but it is well worth anyone's time. It is a beautiful film, brilliantly acted. While it works well on Netflix, I wouldn't hesitate to see it again on the big screen. See it.

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you want to continue to have fun, I think that is the best goal ever! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete