Thursday, December 26, 2019

A Purr-fectly Lovely Christmas


Well, I don't know about you, but I  took a nap a couple of hours after I got up this morning. Only an early appointment and Miss Emma kept me from sleeping in. Z'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  . . . . . . .

About three weeks ago, the Annie's catalogue arrived with the pattern, "Humbug" depicting a grumpy cat wearing a festive Christmas sweater. My cousin Kristin's family has two cats. Bella is white with patches of grey and is sweet and friendly, and then . . . there is . . . Franklin. . . Oh, my! Franklin can be nice, but he can also be very naughty. One pats Franklin warily as it is never clear how he will react. (I speak sweetly to him and may give a treat, but seldom take the risk of trying to pat him. :-) So, when I saw the grumpy cat pattern, I just had to make it. It makes me laugh! Woe to anyone who would attempt to put a holiday sweater on Franklin!!!



It was so much fun to make that I decided to make one featuring Snowy. Santa brought Snowy all the way from the North Pole for two very good little boys last Christmas. Snowy is sweet and cuddly and the purr-fect addition to my cousin Linda's family.


Because Snowy is all white, I used two different snowflake fabrics. I love how the quilting with light thread depicts Snowy on the backside of the wallhanging.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was trying to get three gifts done. By Christmas Eve afternoon, I  had completed both cat pieces, but as evening approached, I had only completed the body of the tote for my other cousin Lynda. One of my mantras is . . . "You can only do what you can do." By that afternoon I had decided I would just put the body of the bag in a gift bag and then take it home to be finished. 

My cousins, Miss L. and Miss T. were serving at 4:00 Mass which I attended, and then I went to their home for dinner. It was late when I returned home, and I decided that it would be more prudent to get a good night's sleep than to work on the tote bag. 

I had a solid eight hours and awoke feeling as if I just might, possibly, be able to finish the bag. It needed a bottom insert, straps, and a button closure. The force was with me, and I was able to finish it before heading out to Christmas at my cousin Brian's home.


I am happy to report that my gifts were all well received. It's so much fun to make things and then see the reactions of the recipients.

It was a wonderful day with all my cousins and extended family members. At the end of the day, we had our traditional Christmas Trivia game. I had difficult questions and easy questions depending on the ages of my young cousins.  There were "swell parting gifts" for those who eventually were out of the game. Everyone received the exact same prize, a large plastic candy cane filled with chocolate. The kids all enjoyed this activity, and I was told that after I left the adults said that they would like to play next year. That should be fun!!! (In case you are interested, you may find many lists of Christmas trivia questions online.)

It was a really fun day, and I hope you enjoyed your Christmas as well.

In case I don't post again before New Year's Day, let me wish you a year of creativity, joy, peace, and good health. Happy New Year!!!

1 comment:

  1. You make so many wonderful things no wonder they were well received! Glad you got it all done and had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete