Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Christmas Shopping - A Cautionary Tale


 A foot problem had prevented me from doing much shopping until Saturday. Much of my shopping was done online, but I had a number of items that I wanted to purchase for my young cousins. So, late in the afternoon on Saturday, I headed out figuring that many shoppers might have been out earlier in the day. It was awesome. I figured correctly, and I breezed around the store happily adding items to my cart. When I returned home, I hauled the bags in and stashed them in the corner of the dining room. Later that night, I wanted to set the table for the company that would be coming the next day, so I gathered the packages and brought them upstairs. I had a gift bag with each child's name and began adding things. I was feeling pretty darned pleased with myself until it struck me . . . Where are the HotWheels??? Where are the books??? Clearly, I was missing a number of items. I checked my car, but there wasn't another bag. Oh, no!!! By now it was 9:30. Had the clerk not put all the bags in my cart??? She was honestly a tad scattered, and so I had been focused on how she was ringing things up. 

 Since I had church in the morning and a meal to prepare, I knew that I would not be able to go back any time on Sunday. Realizing that I might be on a fool's errand, I decided to drive back to the store as it would be open until 11:00. When I entered the store, there were many late shoppers, but the customer service area was in darkness.  I found a young clerk and asked if he could check to see if a bag had been turned in. By now, I had recalled about three of the missing items. After a few minutes, he came out of the back room carrying a bag with my purchases. WHEW! Attached was a slip indicating that the items had been paid for and a notice that if the customer did not inquire about said items within two day, the items would be returned to the appropriate shelves. 

How many times in the past have I gone shopping, especially at Christmas, and just stashed the packages in a corner of some room to be wrapped at another time . . . usually Christmas Eve day.  From now on,  I will try to have one eye on the cashier and another on the bagger and I will try to remember to check my bags as I put them in the car. 


It occurred to me that you might not know what a bowl cozy looks like. The photo in my last post didn't really give a clear picture of what a bowl cozy is. Doesn't this bowl cozy color coordinate well with my oatmeal? Of course, if one side is eggs, the other side must be chickens. :-)


You can find a link to an easy bowl cozy tutorial in my previous post.


I acquired four more Christmas tree pins for my wall hanging.  Christmas trees are everywhere in my house.


The wallhanging above has colorful crystals which catch and sparkle in the light.
 

I spent the day working on a Christmas wallhanging which is too cute and fun for words. Hopefully, it will be done in a day or two, but since it is a gift,  I will show it to you after Christmas. While working on this project, I listen to the sad, divisive rhetoric of the impeachment deliberations. 


On December 18, 2019, our forty-fifth President, Donald J. Trump was impeached.


 Regardless of your politics, this was a truly sad, historic day for our country.

2 comments:

  1. I love your Christmas Tree Pin wall hanging, it is gorgeous. Thankfully they kept those items for you and you were able to get them back. I'll have to remember that as I am the same way just putting everything in my closet and waiting weeks before I check it all out again. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you and yours, Meredith! Can’t wait to hear what Santa brings your very good little boy. :-)

      Delete