Tuesday, December 17, 2019

A Very Busy Week



How are your holiday preparations coming along? I have a present that I haven't even begun working on, but I hope to spend a good part of the day working on that piece. It's been a hectic, lovely week. Since this blog acts as my journal, let me share what I have been up to.

Last Sunday (12/8), my cousin Linda and her boys came to deliver a wreath which I had purchased from her younger son's cub scout pack. I don't know who was more excited to see them, Emma or me. Emma spend most of their visit on the cub scout's lap or snuggled beside him in the chair. They are both all boys, and it's always fun to see them. It wasn't a long visit as the ten year old had a sports activity in the afternoon. He is quite a good lacrosse player, but I believe that afternoon he was going to basketball. They have promised to come back to visit some Sunday morning soon, so we can have breakfast at the diner around the corner. :-)

As you know, that night I attended the Cher concert.

After a few days of rain, I finally had a chance to do some outside decorating including gussying up the wreath. (Wow, that's a good old fashion expression that you don't hear all that often these days! :-)
This very old sled belonged to my dad's family.


Tuesday started with a holiday party at the Crosstown Quilters Guild. There were more than seventy small teddy bear blocks turned in which were divided among five lucky winners. Each block had a white on white background. The green bears had red hearts, and the red bears had green hearts. With sashing and perhaps a border added,  each winner should be able to make a small lap quilt. 



It was a lovely holiday party with good friends, good food, and laughter. We, Crosstown Ladies, know how to have a good time! That night I also attended a neighbor's cookie/Yankee swap party. Being diabetic, I didn't take part in the cookie swap because I have very, very little willpower, and it's best not to have any tempting sweets in my house. The Yankee swap part was, however, lots of fun.

Here's Miss Emma after a recent bit of snow. The best thing that I ever did when we got our first miniature schnauzer Katie was to purchase a copy of Dogs for Dummies, and the best piece of advice that I took from that book was to train your puppy to stand on a towel. Rain or snow . . . whenever she comes inside and sees a towel on the kitchen floor, she will stand there patiently and wait to be dried off. You can see how her furnishings can become caked with clumps of sticky snow. I keep a hair dryer handy for occasions such as this. She may have 'selective' hearing occasionally when I call her, but she excels at standing on a towel to be dried off. :-)



On Thursday evening, I attended a performance of "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever - The Musical" presented by the Arlington Children's Theatre. My young cousin, Miss T., had her very first speaking part in a production. Yeah!!! She loves acting, and everyone in the cast did a fine job. Not only do the children act, but they also move all of the sets around for each scene. They are totally involved in the production. It's a wonderful theater experience for children.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend the holiday party at one of my other guild on Saturday morning. 

Sunday I hosted friends for our annual Christmas get together. We have been friends for many, many years . . . Sometime during the week, I managed to make some handy, quilted microwave bowl cozys to tuck into their gift bags. There are many free online tutorials; I used "Soup Bowl Cozy Pattern" at Happy Hour Stitches.


 That was about the extent of my quilting last week although I only have the edge to stitch on a fun wool applique piece on which I have been working.

One last thing . . . do you enjoy the Kennedy Center Honors program each year as much as I do? If so, did you know that you may watch sections of some of these shows from years past on Youtube? Those show are always so entertaining.

Have a great day and enjoy this special time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment