Friday, October 9, 2020

Inside the New Tufts Library in Weymouth

 
Happy Fall, Y'all! Today was a perfectly lovely fall day, so this afternoon I walked down to the newly opened Tufts Library. Since I have periodically posted photos marking the building's construction, I thought you might enjoy some photos of the inside. It is truly magnificent . . . bright, modern, and inviting. 

This photo was taken looking down from the second floor at the entrance. These shelves all feature new releases.

 Due to Covid-19, most of the rooms were closed, but I took these photos through the glass. This is a large, quiet study room. There are also smaller work rooms and a room dedicated to the history of Weymouth.

 Upstairs there is a section for teens and one for adults. I was amazed at the number of books on the shelves. I asked a librarian how many more books there were than before. She wasn't sure, but she said there were still more books in storage waiting to be placed on the shelves.

 The children's room is on the first floor, and though I didn't check that section out, I would estimate that it is at least two and a half times as big as the children's room in the old library.
 

 

It is bright, colorful and welcoming.

At this point visits are timed for thirty minutes: time to wander around and take it all in, and, of course, select a book.

Earlier in the week, I met friends on a very cold morning at the Hingham Bathing Beach. On Tuesday, my quilting friends came for a very social, socially distanced get together in my backyard. Left to right: Maribeth, Edith, Liz, and Rosemary. We have been meeting on alternate Wednesday evenings for years . . . that is until the world turned upside down in mid-March. We have gotten together three times lately and hope to be able to squeeze in a few more lunches while the weather is warm. (Emma was there for part of the time to welcome our guests, but she was sent inside because she was causing a racket chasing and barking at the squirrels.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. I miss seeing the inside of my library! Many branches are still closed because of Covid; but, I am thankful that I can "order" books and make an appointment to pick them up. As the weather has cooled, I know I'll be doing more reading. Your new Library looks wonderful. I was surprised that the librarian didn't know how many more books were there or were coming. How much bigger is this one over the old one?

    ReplyDelete