Wednesday, September 30, 2020

We All Need Some Pretty Pictures

After last night's first Presidential debate 2020, perhaps we all just need to look at some pretty photos and read some mindless ramblings. I have no words for last night, and besides, if you read my blog, I imagine you already know how I felt about the debate. So, on to the photos . . .

The bees are still enjoying the sedum.

I purchased this bird bath with solar fountain the summer after I retired. I loved the little fountain happily burbling in my small garden, but after a few years, the fountain stopped working. I continued to use it as a bird bath up until a few weeks ago. Though it appears to be stone, it is rather some kind of heavy composite material. In order to clean the top section thoroughly, the top would need to be twisted off every couple of days and scrubbed. Finally, I just got tired of doing that. Have no fear, however, the birds can still bathe and get a drink in another bird bath which is far easier to clean in my yard. :-)

So, last week I decided to add some flowers to offer a spot of color as my other plants are beginning to die off.



This afternoon I began a new jigsaw puzzle.

 

 
This morning I caught these lovely splashes of color. Whenever I see dancing colors of light, I remember the movie Pollyanna from my childhood. Each Sunday night I would look forward to Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color. Haley Mills played Pollyanna, and in one scene she visits a cranky older woman played by Agnes Moorehead. In order to cheer her up, Pollyanna strings prisms around the room. 
 That scene always stayed with me.
 


I also recalled that after watching the movie, I went to the library to take out the book upon which this wonderful movie was based. I read the biography of Francis Marion after watching "The Swamp Fox"; whatever the show, I would then check out a book on the person. Wait a minute . . . how could I not mention Davy Crockett??? Every child that I knew had a coonskin cap. No doubt, that was where my love of biographies began.

Not all the Disney shows were about real people; sometimes there were nature programs or programs about history. Johnny Tremain was another favorite, and I remember being thrilled to receive the book by Esther Forbes for my birthday. Years went by, I grew up, and I became an eighth grade English/language Arts teacher. One guess which novel was then part of the curriculum. :-) It was fun to teach that novel which I had loved as a child. If you are not familiar with it, the novel tells the story of a boy growing up in Colonial Boston at the time of the American Revolution. (Oh, by the way, my birthday present book still sits on one of my bookshelves.  :-)
 

Another way I spent a few hours today was sewing on all of these teeny, tiny beads. On what you ask? Well, I'll show you that in my next post.

 After last night's disturbing, frightening, chaotic, unprecedented Presidential debate, let me leave you with this quote from John F. Kennedy.

Stay safe. Stay strong. Try to remain calm. Have hope and VOTE!!!.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful bee picture! I appreciated your literary review. I too loved that scene in Pollyanna. Seeing Walt Disney on Sunday night was an activity I anticipated all week long!

    ReplyDelete