Thursday, September 10, 2020

A Sunday Surprise and Social Gathering in the Age of Covid

 In my last post, I remarked that it is as if we are all in a trance with one day after another just rolling along in the same way. Well not this week . . . it has been a wonderful week. 

On Sunday afternoon, my friend Laurel stopped by for a visit. She had come from dropping off items for her husband who is at a rehabilitation center after having recently suffered a debilitating stroke. He has a long road ahead of him, but we are all hopeful that he will keep making strides forward.

It was good to see Laurel as the last time I saw her was right before the world turned upside down in mid- March. (For the last few years, Laurel and I had spent Fridays quilting, going out for lunch, and perhaps visiting a fabric shop or antique store or two. ) It was so good to see her! She brought with her a gift from the Crosstown Quilters Guild.  As incoming president, she presented me with this gift made by the members. It's a signature quilt; each block has two rectangles - a flower piece and a signature on white. I love it!!! It was so much fun being president of the Crosstown Guild even if covid-19 did cut my term short.

 Labor Day was uneventful. Here's Miss Emma, my fitness companion, looking oh so cute resting after our morning walk. :-)

On Tuesday, I received a call telling me that my wool applique circle sampler was ready to be picked up

 
 
Wednesday was a double header.  Three quilting friends arrived for a social distancing lunch/gathering in my backyard. . . a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

Later, I headed to Nantasket Beach in Hull for another social distancing gathering to celebrate a friend's birthday. Since she lives in a condo across from Nantasket Beach, I suggested that we could meet in one of the parking lots. By six, most beach goers had left, and so we pulled out our chairs and formed a socially distant circle in the lot. Kathy who had arranged the get together phoned Linda and told her to look out her balcony window. Imagine her surprise to see us all gathered across the street. 

 
 
One more fun aspect . . . Chris brought her mom (the lady with the white hat.) The first thing that she will always say whenever she see me is that she remembers me as a very little girl sitting with my brother on on our front steps. She loved my Shirley Temple-like red curls. There is something absolutely delightful and wonderful about the idea that she remembers me from when I was oh so little. :-)

We had a lovely backdrop for our gathering.



Oh, one more thing, because of the birthday signs and balloons, people driving by would call out birthday wishes as did many of the folks walking along the boardwalk. It was a fun night!!!  Kathy (my fellow redhead standing next to Linda) had even brought cupcakes!!!

This morning I stepped out onto the deck and 'spied her' or him. I'm always fascinated by the intricate work of fellow craftsmen. I think it might be a house spider, but please do not hold me to that.

What are my plans for the rest of the week? Well, nothing, nothing, nothing, and then perhaps some more nothing, but that's totally okay as I had my share of fun moments this week.

Before I go, Zoey, a Burlington resident, would like to remind all humans to please, please wear their masks.

 Stay safe. Have hope. Be creative and try to find moments of fun, joy, and happiness to help you through these troubled times.

1 comment:

  1. You are very lucky to have so many wonderful women in your life. I think that might be an orb weaver, but I might be wrong. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete