Friday, September 25, 2020

A Visit to Plymouth Harbor

Happy Fall, Y'all! Not yesterday, but last Thursday, I took a drive down to Plymouth. It was a gorgeous day, and I wanted to go somewhere. Plymouth is 27miles/30 minutes away from  my home in Weymouth. (Historical note: Plymouth was settled in 1620; Weymouth was founded in 1622 as "Wessagusett Colony," and renamed as Weymouth in 1635 making it the second oldest town in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.) The cross stitch chart, "Coming to America . . . Women of the Mayflower" must have been on mind as I had written about that in my previous post.

I felt safe walking around as I was outside and wearing a mask. 

The Mayflower II recently returned to its berth in Plymouth Harbor after having undergone extensive restorations. Unfortunately, the pandemic has cancelled or significantly altered many of the long planned events associated with the 400th  anniversary of the landing of the pilgrims.




  
I spent about an hour and forty-five minutes walking around photographing, but as would any self respecting tourist, I did purchase three souvenirs. :-)  I ask you, what kitchen in America does not need a 1620 - 2020 commemorative dish towel/kitchen towel? I also bought a Mayflower thimble (above the sails) and a Mayflower lapel pin. I have a wall quilt in my sewing room with pins from my travels and from different quilt shows that I have attended. My plan was to get a take out lobster roll at The Lobster Hut, but the line was out the door into the parking lot, so I headed home. (I, myself, laughed at the fact that I bought souvenirs, but honestly, this might be the closest I come to having a get away or vacation for the foreseeable future.)

Speaking of vacations . . . where would you most like to travel when the world rights itself? Are you making a list? In no particular order, my choices would be Arcadia National Park during lupine season and before all the tourists arrive; Jackson Hole,Wyoming; the canyon lands of Utah, and I would like to go to Italy and Ireland again and visit Scotland. Give me a few more minutes and I will come up with a few more places. How about you? What's on your list?

Recommendations 

In one of my recent posts, I wrote about What Once Was True by Jean Grainger. Since that time I have read the two books that follow that one. Again, I highly recommend that series for those wishing to read a pleasant story with warm, likeable characters. (I am also reading Rage by Bob Woodward, but the cast of characters in that book is decidedly less likeable. :-)

Last night I watched a new movie on Netflix, Elona Holmes. It was wonderful!!!!!!! The sixteen year old protagonist is Elona, the sister of Sherlock Holmes. If you have Netflix, do watch this clever, charming  movie. I loved everything about it.

________________      _________________           _______________ 

Warning!!! Stop here if you don't want to read pandemic statistic or comments about politics. Warning!!!

 ________________               ________________            _______________      

The death toll in our country now stands at over 203, 000. Donald Trump has said that he and his administration had done "a phenomenal job" and gave himself an "A+" for his handling of the pandemic. He said the US is "rounding the corner on the pandemic, with or without a vaccine." What kind of horrific, alternate reality world does this man live in? Why do his predominantly mask-less supporters crowd into arenas to hear his vile lies? Why is he having these massive, potentially virus spreading gatherings in the first place? 

Okay, that is it for this post. Please stay safe. Stay strong. Have hope.  Vote.

Rest in Peace RGB - Supreme Court Justice  Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment