Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Mambo Pink Chairs!!!

 Happy Tuesday! This might run long, so grab yourself a cold beverage and settle in.

First a laugh.

I saw this on the Sherrie Loves Color! blog and I thought it was a great idea. :-) Just think how much fun this would be to do with kids. Heck, I would enjoy it myself!!!

Sherrie is a quilt artist who has recently relocated to the Tucson area. Her blog is always interesting to read. Saturday's post featured a collection of things that would make anyone smile. 

The second smile of the day came when I began spray painting my beloved pink plastic Adirondack chairs. (Someone once told me that she knows spring has officially arrived when she sees I have put out these chairs. :-0 ) Anyway, I have had them for many years, and this year they looked particularly bad . . .   faded and worn which made them appear dirty. I had purchased a spray can of "Krylon - Mambo Pink Gloss" last week and this morning attempted the job of restoring them to their former glory. The can specifically indicated, "No Drips, No Running, No Errors."  It should have also said in small print "unless Janice has her finger on the button." Now mind you, I am an "instruction reader" and followed everything that the instructions said. It was a mess! Runs? You betcha!!! I had had the foresight to also bring out a foam brush, and I did my best to smooth out the runs and drips. The worse it looked; the more I laughed and laughed which probably didn't help matters much. I was applying multiple light coats as directed and allowing each coat to dry between layers, but to add insult to injury, I ran out of paint before completing the second chair. Off I went to Lowe's to purchase the only can left of "Glossy Pink Mambo" on the shelf. (I considered changing out of my painting duds, but then decided no one would notice what I was wearing, and, after all, I was wearing a mask!)

Here's the final result, and if the chairs are in dappled shade they don't look half bad :-). Just ask Emma and she will agree.

On Chronicle last evening, they had a segment on a mother and daughter who use spray paint to cover up swears on the rocks around the Quincy quarry. The young girl likes to take photos of what has been tagged on the cliffs, but she was upset by the foul language, so she and her mom spray paint over the offensive language. Perhaps I could apprentice with them???

Last evening, I took part in my first drive-by pandemic parade. We were biding a fond farewell to a lovely, lovely lady and outstanding retired educator. She and her husband are moving out of state to be closer to family. It was a beautiful night and many of the cars were decorated with signs and balloons. Since she lives in a cul-de-sac, we were able to pass her house twice and stop to say a few words and pose for photos. I think she and her husband truly enjoyed the send off.

The drive-by parade was organized by my friend Kathy. If you have followed my blog for awhile, you may remember seeing this art quilt that I created back in the spring of 2017. At one of our monthly luncheons, Kathy had passed around a photo that she had taken of her parents. I had been so taken by the photo that I asked if I might use the image in an art quilt, and so I did. (I documented each step in the process and if interested, you may find those posts back in April and May of 2017.)

Well, on Saturday, Kathy's parents celebrated their 75th anniversary!!! They are both now ninety-eight years old.

 
 Sue Scheible of The Patriot Ledger wrote a beautiful article about the Zoom celebration of this marvelous occasion.
 

I know you would find it truly heart warming to read, and if you do check it out, you can see what love that lasts a lifetime looks like.

I did have more to say, but I will stop here. Please do read the article; it is so uplifting.

Stay safe. Have hope. Be creative. Be kind to yourself and all you meet.

1 comment:

  1. I've never spray painted plastic before. . .I've spray painted other appropriate items though; but, I would think that the plastic surface would be a tough one! Thanks for the laugh about your experience and for the M & M's chuckle. As for the wedding anniversary story, that is love for sure!

    ReplyDelete