Thursday, July 30, 2020

This and That Thursday

This is the orchid that I received on July 2nd for my birthday. It still looks beautiful. Behind it is a hand applique piece that I started in a class with David Taylor in the summer of 2015. It appears as if the hummingbird is sipping from the orchid.

The sweltering heat wave continues. Yesterday, the humidity was slightly less, but still very, very hot. In spite of that, I had a lovely afternoon as my godchild Kristin came for a visit. She had stopped at Tony's along Wollaston Beach to pick up delicious lobster rolls for lunch. We socially distanced in my backyard, and as the heat increased, we moved to my sunporch where I had an overhead fan and all the windows open. We were still able to maintain a safe distance between us. I can not begin to tell you how much I enjoyed her visit. Texts and zoom meetings are wonderful, but it is good to actually see someone in person even if you do have to be masked and six feet away. :-)

I made two more project bags this week. I was in my sewing room the other day and noticed a bag overflowing with selvedges hanging on the back of the door. H'mmm . . . it might be a good time to use some of them I thought, and so I did. The other side features colorful vintage sewing machines. Bit by bit, my fabric stash is going down, but have no fear, I still have enough to last a long, long, long time.



Later, I came across this Halloween fabric in my stash. I'm not a huge Halloween fan, but I loved the graphics on this fabric when I purchased it. As you can see,  there is a cross stitch chart in the bag just waiting to be stitched.




I am going to keep this short as I want to watch the funeral of Rep. John Lewis. Our current President declined to pay his respects when Rep. Lewis lay in state in Washington this past week; Presidents Clinton, Bush, and Obama will attend today's funeral service.

John Lewis's final essay was published today in The New York Times. Please take a moment to read these powerful, eloquent excerpts.

While my time here has now come to an end, I want you to know that in the last days and hours of my life you inspired me. You filled me with hope about the next chapter of the great American story when you used your power to make a difference in our society. Millions of people motivated simply by human compassion laid down the burdens of division. Around the country and the world you set aside race, class, age, language and nationality to demand respect for human dignity. . .

Ordinary people with extraordinary vision can redeem the soul of America by getting in what I call good trouble, necessary trouble. Voting and participating in the democratic process are key. The vote is the most powerful nonviolent change agent you have in a democratic society. You must use it because it is not guaranteed. You can lose it. . .

Though I may not be here with you, I urge you to answer the highest calling of your heart and stand up for what you truly believe. In my life I have done all I can to demonstrate that the way of peace, the way of love and nonviolence is the more excellent way. Now it is your turn to let freedom ring.

When historians pick up their pens to write the story of the 21st century, let them say that it was your generation who laid down the heavy burdens of hate at last and that peace finally triumphed over violence, aggression and war. So I say to you, walk with the wind, brothers and sisters, and let the spirit of peace and the power of everlasting love be your guide.


I wish you peace. Do not hesitate to get yourself in good trouble as we work to improve things in our country. Have hope.

1 comment:

  1. John Lewis, what more can be said, he was such an incredible man. He will be missed. I love your project bags and am so thankful you could visit with your niece. I would love a lobster roll!

    ReplyDelete