Sunday, July 5, 2020

Independence Day 2020 and Hamilton

Yesterday we celebrated our country's birthday, without for the most part, parades, concerts, cookouts, and fireworks. Who am I kidding? I have never heard so many illegal fireworks going off, and I am not just talking about last night. Fireworks have been going off for weeks. What is up with that??? At the end of today's zoom Sunday Mass and final blessing, Father Huy, our pastor, wondered who was shooting fireworks off at 2:00am.

It was another no holiday - holiday. I don't ever remember not hosting a gathering on the Fourth. About the closest I came to tradition was having a hot dog for supper!

How many people do you think signed up for Disney+ to watch Hamilton this weekend? It will be interesting to see how many took advantage of watching this musical.  Lin-Manuel Mirander is truly a genius. The filmed recording featured the original cast of the Broadway show. I'm thinking that millions more viewed it on TV than will ever be able to see it in the theater. It was accessible to a whole new audience. Did you stream it?

If you enjoyed it, may I make a reading suggestion. . .  Dear Hamilton: A Novel of Eliza Schulyer Hamilton by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie. Eliza was a fascinating woman in her own right. She preserved and shaped her husband's legacy after his death. If you do not wish to read the novel, then instead please, please take a minute to read the short article “Why Elizabeth Hamilton is Deserving of a Musical of Her Own" which gives insight into her remarkable life and impressive accomplishments.  She may not have been in the room where it happened, but she was there as our country struggled to be born. Elizabeth lived to the age of ninety-seven.

Since it was the Fourth of July, I also watched as I do every year the musical 1776!

I plan to be back tomorrow to show you some photos of a gorgeous orchid that I received Thursday on my birthday. There might be a slight glitch as Blogger is transitioning to a new version. Geeezzz!!! The current version does not allow some people based on the browser that they are using to leave a comment, but other than that problem it works well. I am keeping my fingers crossed about the new version . . .

Before I go, I don't know who came up with this but it is clever!



Stay safe. Stay strong. Have hope and as a tired, angry, frustrated doctor interviewed on CNN said, "Keep the Damn Masks On!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the link to that article on Elizabeth Hamilton, it was very interesting. I watched the musical and like you loved it. I am so happy it is streaming and hope that soon it will be available to all those who would like to watch it without a specific subscription to a streaming device. It was incredible and I would love everyone that want to be able to see it the freedom to watch it. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete