Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Twas a Puzzlement


Yes, twas a puzzlement . . .  how was my neighbor completing the jigsaw puzzles that I was loaning him so quickly??? And then I received photographic evidence that shows he had been getting help!!! Dewey is clearly examining each piece and honing in on just the one needed. . . Not only is Dewey a friendly, pretty cat, he is obviously quite intelligent.

My jigsaw puzzle board is set up on my sunporch, but I have not been doing much. Partly, it is the cool, rainy weather and partly, an inability to concentrate. I have a 500 piece "Marble" puzzle that I was not having much luck with so I quit and boxed it up. Maybe Dewey and my neighbor will be up for the challenge.

Every evening I work on the Sue Spargo's "90 Day Toned Down Circle Sampler." As you will see, I am using my own palette which is not toned down. :-) Look at my gorgeous stash of #8 perle cotton. Who knew that it would come in so handy?


Here's my piece showing some finished circles. By the way, each circle is only one inch, and each day Sue Spargo posts that day's circle. She uses stitches that I have never even heard of and a short video to show how the stitch is done. (Note: Lefties can find videos on how to complete various stitches on Ariane Zurcher's youtube channel, On the Other Hand.


 Here are my completed circles so far. I'm not unlike this little snail when it comes to my stitching. It is only supposed to take about forty--five minutes to an hour to stitch each day's circle, but not in my case. First, I watch Sue's video on Instagram, then review her book, Creative Stitching, and then decide which color circle I will stitch and which colors of thread I will use. This sometimes takes me a couple of hours. . . a true snail's pace. Some circles are easier than others, and I do find that I am getting a bit quicker. Most important of all, I am enjoying the process and am finding it a comfort in these troubled times.






 

I can not thank Sue Spargo enough for hosting this ninety day gift to stitchers everywhere.


Mask tip: As I write this post, I am watching a live video presentation on asthma and covid-19 hosted by Medic Alert. The presenter, the head of the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, Dr. Kenneth Mendez,  thoroughly answered a wide range of questions, and offered this tip regarding protective face masks. Shine a flashlight through the mask, if the light shines through strongly, add another layer when masking masks. Batiks, having a tighter weave, work better than regular fabric.

*** If you are making a mask for someone with asthma, the recommendation is to add an extra layer. (Being asthmatic myself, let me tell you that sometimes it is tough enough breathing through the regular masks. Having said that, I will be making a couple of new masks with the extra layers. My doctor suggested washing and drying a white t-shirt and then cutting two layers from that fabric to sandwich inside the cloth masks that I am making.)

I wish you peace. Stay safe. Stay creative. Stay strong. Have hope. We will get through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment