Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Covid 19 - Easter 2020 - T-Shirt Cords for Masks

Hello fellow quarantinees! How was your Easter? Mine started with my parish's Mass being broadcast on Facebook. Later in the morning, my godchild delivered some veggie sides for my Easter dinner along with some old t-shirts. (More about the t-shirts below.) I did not want her to drive here from her home on the other side of Boston, but she came and it was good to see her. It was warm enough to socially distance ourselves in my backyard for a few moments.

At 1:00, I along with millions around the world watched Andrea Bocelli's live streamed "Music for Hope" from the Cathedral in Milan. As of Tuesday morning, this concert had been seen by over 35 million people. In this magnificent, empty edifice with only an organist accompanying him, he began with a breathtaking "Panis Angelicus." At the end of the thirty minute concert, he exited the cathedral and sang "Amazing Grace" on the steps of the duomo. You may watch this concert on Youtube.

In the afternoon, I visited with my old friends, the Crawley Family and their staff at Downton Abbey. Having seen the movie when it first came out, I knew that I would enjoy it again and I did. That was followed by our weekly family Zoom session. It is good to see everyone looking healthy and happy. Say what you will about technology, but where would we be without it during these difficult days???


I began this happy spring welcome wool applique mat in late March before the world began falling apart. I truly enjoyed stitching on it, but it is a bit too happy and cheerful for these times. It may be best to put this adorable spring piece away for next year in hopes that days will be brighter then.



[This was an April welcome mat wool applique kit from Shabby Fabrics. The pattern was from Buttermilk Basin.]

And now to the t-shirts . . .  those of us who have been making face masks have been dealing with a shortage of elastic. A number of online sites suggested making cording out of t-shirt strips. It is magic!!! First, lay an old t-shirt flat on your cutting board. Cut off the bottom hem and discard it, and then begin cutting one inch strips. The strips will, of course, be flat, but then . . . begin pulling on one strip as if it is an exercise band and the magic happens!!! The more you pull, the longer it gets. Amazing!!! Discard the top of the t-shirt where the logo or design is as that section will not work.


Before and after . . .  How cool is this!!!


A couple of things . . . the t-shirts with slightly heavier fabric work best and as you can see in the photo below, I do knot the ends of the cords.



Well, that's all for now. Stay safe and stay strong. We will get through this together.

3 comments:

  1. Pretty cool about the t-shirt become a tie! I have been using packages of bias tape from my grandmother's stash for the ties. . .I still have plenty should I need to make more masks. I will have to locate the concert. I meant to do it; but, forgot! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The t-shirt cord is brilliant. I have been buying shoe laces and cutting them up. IT really works and usually they wash well. I have made 62 masks and now I think I have closed up shop, I have no more fabric to make them with. Still I gave away about 54 masks to friends and family and I hope they help. Stay well and safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At this point, I have made 140. :-()

    ReplyDelete