Monday, July 4, 2016

July 4th Weekend



This weekend, our country celebrated 240 years of independence with parades, concerts, barbecues, stage plays, and of course, fireworks. The weather has been simply glorious lately. On Saturday afternoon, two forever friends and I joined several hundred folks on the lawn of the estate next to Peacefield, the home of Presidents John Adams  and John Quincy Adams, to attend the world premiere of  My Dearest Friend - The Letters of John and Abigail Adams . . . An Opera for Soprano, Baritone and Orchestra. The words were drawn from a selection of letters by John and Abigail Adams, and the beautiful music was composed by Patricia Leonard. The National Park Service at the Adams National Historical Park always has wonderful programs on the July 4th weekend, and this was no exception.  I don't think they anticipated just how large the audience would be as every seat was taken under the tents and many folks brought their own chairs and blankets. Fortunately, I had a blanket in my car, so I was able to stretch out comfortably to enjoy the program. Not many folks were lucky enough to be close enough to see the orchestra or the performers, but we were all able to listen. :-) 

After the performance, we headed to Marina Bay for a meal.  It was a lovely way to spend an afternoon, and it also happened to be my birthday. :-)

Yesterday, I pulled out my red, white, and blue to prepare for a get-together at my house today.


My mom made this afghan for me when I was a teenager; I selected the colors.  :-)


Here's a quilt that I made a number of years ago. I think I will leave it on my bed for the rest of the month.




This afternoon, four of my friends came to celebrate with Emma and me, and a good time was had by all! I hope you also had an enjoyable 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment