Sunday, February 27, 2022

A Few Cross Stitch Project Bags


 I have been on a project bag making kick this past week. Here’s one made from Lori Holt’s colorful fabric. I have made quite a few vinyl front project bags using the instructions from  MyModa Fabric. If interested, go to the site and search for “vinyl pouch.” Those instructions talk about sewing a variety of 2.5 squares together, but I choose to use solid fat quarters. In case you are wondering, the heavy weight vinyl that I use is purchased from Joanne’s, and it is the one with the green print paper backing. 

Project bags are easy to make requiring only fabric, a zipper, and the vinyl. “Why do you have so many?”non-cross stitchers might ask; lovers of cross stitching and flosstube will just smile as they know you may never have too many project bags. Project bags are addictive to make, and besides, they are fun. 

I have only purchased one project bag, a bee themed one. That was when I first started watching an episode of Stitch Roadies on Youtube a few years ago, and I ordered one like Anna had. She is a world class enabler!!! :-)   I always watched her  Quilt Roadies on Youtube, and then in addition I started watching her Stitch Roadies flosstube as well. Back on March 26, 2020, I posted that while I enjoyed seeing her projects, I was 99.999999 percent sure that I would not take up cross stitching. Well, you all know how that has turned out. It has been a slippery slope ever since. ;-)


When I purchased the kit for Brenda Gervais’ Coming to America, I also purchased a panel from which I created this bag. It’s part of my Field of Dreams, “If I prep it, I will stitch it plan.” I now have the floss, fabric, and pattern in this new project bag. Hopefully, I will start it soon, so I might have it finished by November.



Binoculars were not invented until the early 1800s and not in popular use until the 1880s. Does this anachronistic detail bother me? Not in the slightest, this charm makes a cute zipper pull. :-)

The third bag has a farm theme as barns and farm animals are always super popular cross stitch charts.


Here is the back without vinyl so you may see the fabric better.


The final bag uses Mary Poppins fabric. Honestly, who doesn’t like Mary Poppins, and yes, I do have a Mary Poppins chart to stitch purchased from The Little Stitcher shop on Etsy. 


For some reason the front zipper side appears yellowish, but both background prints are white.


I made the macrame zipper pulls after watching Lori Holt’s daughter Cassidy show how to make them on Lori’s “Crochet Flowers and Zipper Pulls” flosstube episode on Youtube. I had the chunky yarn left over from an earlier Lori Holt project, the Let’s Bake quilt which I finished in 2018.

Will this be the end of my project bag making? Probably not . . . I have ideas for a few more, but I have too many other things to work on in March.

Have a great week. Feel free to skip what is under the break lines. Oh, one more thing . . . we had a record high temperature of 69 degrees on Wednesday and then those pesky raw apprentices in the weather clerk’s office brought us seven inches of snow on Friday. Life in New England :-) It’s melting today and spring is right around the corner.

        ============                 ===========                     ==========

The whole world is watching in horror as Putin’s forces are invading Ukraine. How could this possibly be happening in the year 2022? Prayers for the valiant citizens of Ukraine fighting to maintain their independence and attempting to force out Russian troops. Putin’s actions have been universally condemned.

Covid numbers have finally begun to take a turn for the better, and mask mandates and covid restrictions have eased. The statistics, however, are staggering. 

Covid Deaths

World - 6 million. . .      United States - Closing in on one million. . . Massachusetts - 23,370

Health experts agree that the true death toll is far higher worldwide then has been reported.

Please be cautious and stay safe.





1 comment:

  1. Your bags are beautiful! The fabrics your used are very unique. My oldest granddaughter is taking sewing lessons and has made two patchwork bags so far. I am going to look at the fabric link you gave to see if I can find fabric she will enjoy working with.
    I am praying for Ukraine! My maternal grandparents from immigrated from Ukraine in the early 1900s.

    ReplyDelete