Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Windy Winter Mini Wall Hanging


Hi Everyone! How are you doing this week? I’ve been meaning to write this blog entry since last week when I finished this cute little snowman. You may recall that one of my resolutions was not to buy anything new but instead stitch completely, strictly, totally from stash. Raise your hand if you think that I have managed to keep that resolution. H’mmm . . . I don’t see any hands raised. . . Well, actually, I have totally kept the fabric part of that resolution as not even a scrap of fabric or fat quarter has crossed over  my castle’s threshold. Patterns? Well, that’s another story. We’ll get to that in a future post.

I saw the pattern for “Windy Winter” in a recent Annie’s catalogue and was drawn in by the cute little hanger that came with the pattern. The windy swirl hanger was made by Ackfeld Manufacturing. Many quilt and needlework stores carry their designs, but you may order directly from their website. Check out the many wonderful fabric hangers and stands that they offer. I have at least four or five of their items, both stands and hangers. You will be amazed at the fun, clever designs they offer.

The photo may not indicate it, but I cut a second slightly smaller snowman out of batting to place under the fabric snowman to make him more puffy as a good snowman should be. I used a scrap of homespun fabric for the scarf and used a pin to carefully fringe the scarf’s ends. I also added some snowflake buttons. Tiny black beads were used on the face and body. All in all, he is a jolly soul who makes me smile.


Speaking of weather . . . it has been a bit crazy for us here in New England.  I had not been able to take walks with Emma as the sidewalks at the beginning of last week were treacherous. Things began warming up mid-week and by Friday the ice had melted with temperatures in the fifties, and Saturday’s sixty degree day offered the promise of spring. Emma and I had a lovely walk both days. What happened next? Yup, six inches of snow on Sunday into Monday morning. I must say that it was our very  favorite type of snow, light and fluffy and easy to shovel. Monday and Tuesday it was darn right frigid, but have no fear it will be in the sixties again tomorrow and Friday. Now, that would be great except the warm temps are going to be accompanied by very strong winds and steady rain. Mark Twain once wrote that it was obviously apprentices in the weather office who were in charge of New England weather.
 

I think Twain might have been right!

Stay safe, dry, warm, and creative. ;-)

1 comment: