Saturday, May 16, 2020

Sun Printing on Fabric

Hello Fellow Quarantinees! How are you all doing? The last three days in Massachusetts have been absolutely gorgeous . . . so much so that it makes one forget for a brief while the troubled state of our world.

My absolute favorite magazine is Quiilting Arts, and I am not happy that our local PBS station is not showing the latest series. I'm a great one for watching surface design tutorials on Youtube and then buying necessary supplies, but my follow through isn't always so good.  I'm determined to change that and to use some of the items that I have in my studio. (Wait a minute . . . I don't have a studio; yes, but I do have a big cellar with a table and lots of shelving with "art" stuff just waiting to be used. . .  so it's sort of a studio :-)

Anyway, Wednesday evening I watched Sun Prints with Karen Eckmeier of The Quilted Lizard on Youtube.  Her tutorial focused on sun printing fabric using 'bleeding' tissue paper. I had purchased 'bleeding' tissue paper the first time I had watched this video, so bright and early Thursday morning I decided to give it a try. It was great fun!!! (I will not discuss the steps; I recommend that you watch her wonderful tutorial.)

I love this result as the colors remind me of a Southwest sunset.


She does say that the colors will dry lighter, and clearly, I may have diluted my paints a bit too much for this one, but there are still some very usable sections in this piece.


After I tried the 'bleeding' tissue paper, I decided to use up the rest of the paint left in the cups. This mat is something that I picked up at the dollar store. 


 Didn't it turn out pretty!!!



Here's another one. I love the snowflake piece and let me say the purplish/blue background is more vibrant in person. You might be wondering about the bottom two examples. That's what happens when you don't realize that you have mistakenly used two layers of fabric. :-) Oops!




Sun printing fabric was definitely fun, and I will do this again soon. Give it a try. We all need to have some art playtime and Karen Eckmeirer's Youtube tutorial is a great place to start. Be sure also to visit her website, The Quilted Lizard, and her Youtube channel.

Binge Watching . . . Speaking of beautiful days . . .

 I am not a TV binge watcher. Oh, sure, I could probably do the dialogue along with Leroy Jethro Gibbs and the gang on any old NCIS episode. I will admit to passing many a wintery afternoon watching episodes of my favorite show, BUT I have not really been a binge watcher until now.

"It's a beautiful day at
the Red Pony Cafe
and continual soiree."

Yes, thanks to my friend Laurel, I have come under the spell of "Longmire." I love this show on Netflix. How much? I'm in the middle of season three, and Laurel only told me about it a week ago. Last night I watched three episodes!!!  I think that I need to pace myself so it lasts longer as there are only six seasons.

Well, it's time to go out and enjoy more of this beautiful day.

Stay safe. Stay Strong. Have hope. We will get through this.

2 comments:

  1. I've gotten hooked on Oregon Field Guide, Oregon Experience and History Detectives. . . I wasn't a binge TV watcher either. . .Your sun prints are so fun! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sun printing is so beautiful. I just finished Grace and Frankie Season 6 and now have been at a loss about what to watch, I will give your show a try, thank you. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete