Monday, May 25, 2020

A Memorable Memorial Day 2020


This stand of purple irises has grown in the same spot in my backyard for as long as I can remember. Following the advice in Jim Crockett's book, I try to divide the irises in the fall every seven years. (I try to remember to do this; note: "try" being the operative word. . . ) Back in the day, Jim Crockett was the gardening expert/host of "Victory Garden" a PBS program which began in 1975 and was must see TV. Whenever I have a gardening question, I still go straight to his book first.

Now a bit about Memorial Day. . . 620,000 soldiers gave their lives during the Civil War. The tradition of visiting and leaving flowers and flags on the graves of fallen soldiers began a few years after the war ended. Gradually, folks began visiting and leaving flowers on the graves of their loved ones, soldiers or not. The tradition continues along with patriotic parades and speeches. For many, it marks the unofficial start of summer, and usually on this day, along with parades, there are barbecues and trips to the beach. This year in the midst of the covid-19 pandemic things have changed, but we still remember those we have lost and the brave men and women who have given so much to protect our freedom. I wonder where we, our country, and the world will be next year when
Memorial Day comes around?

Here are a few more one inch wool circles that I have stitched based on Sue Spargo's designs.



Below is a shot of my overall progress. I've stitched thirty-nine circles so far. I rested it on my puzzle board to take this shot. The puzzle's theme is New England and features many of the places I would like to be visiting this summer. Maybe next year . . .


 I worked on two circles during the televised epic golf game for charity yesterday featuring only four players: Tiger Woods and Peyton Manning vs. Phil Mickelson and Tom Brady. Two great golfers and two great quarterbacks ... the event raised 20 million dollars for corvid-19 relief efforts. It was pouring, soaking rain throughout the match.You have to hand it to Peyton Manning and Tom Brady playing golf in front of millions of viewers. One of the announcers at the end of the match wondered how it would be if Woods and Mickelson had to play in a football game. :-)

Well, Miss Emma has waited patiently long enough, so it is time to go stretch our legs. 

Stay safe.  Stay strong. Have hope. We will get through this. Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment