Monday, March 16, 2020

Cute Animals and Supermarket Sweep

Hi everyone! How are you doing today? As promised, I'm going to try to post as frequently as I can  something to make you smile during these strange, stressful, difficult days.

Have you seen Wellington??? The internet has fallen in love with a rockhopper penguin who resides at Chicago's Shedd Aquarium. With the aquarium shut down due to the coronavirus, the penguins were allowed out of their habitat to explore. The video is short, but please take a moment to view it as it is guaranteed to make you smile. Click HERE. Personally, I'd like to have his keepers follow him around for at least a half hour. He's precious!!!

And speaking of cute animals, here is a teddy that I made for my young cousin Trixie who loves acting. She was to perform in a children's theater production over the weekend, but the shows were cancelled. Fortunately, the dress rehearsal was filmed, so I hope to see that.

At our last Ladies Lunch, I had Trixie, her sister, and their friend stuff teddy bears that I was donating at my guild. Trixie loves stuffies and asked if I would make her one. She picked this purple flannel from my stash. When our guild members make them to be donated, we do not embroider faces or add buttons since we don't know how old the recipients may be, but I did both for my favorite little actress! On the bottom of one foot, I embroidered "BREAK A LEG" and added stars. :-)




You may see the llama that I made her for Christmas two years ago HERE.

So, this morning on CBS This Morning it was suggested that we keep a diary/journal to help us deal with the stress. I knew supermarket shelves were becoming a bit empty, but yesterday I saw that for myself. I waited until late Sunday afternoon before heading to Roche Brothers on Quincy Avenue. The parking load was not crowded, so I donned my disposable plastic gloves and headed in to mainly get some milk and corn beef. Oh my goodness!!! There was milk, and I was able to pick up a few things that I needed, but I was surprised to see the items that there had been a run on. There was a not a drop of bottled water. What's up with that??? I understand the toilet paper and paper towels as I, myself,  have been buying them, but it was startling to see all the completely empty shelves on that long aisle. . . except for the notices asking customers to only purchase two paper product items.  I wasn't looking for any of the following items, but it was interesting to see that there were no eggs, frozen pizzas, not a crumb of bread or English muffins, no bleach or other cleaners, etc. People seemed bemused by the situation, but not overly upset. I returned home and cranked up the drawbridge of my castle where I will now stay for the foreseeable future. [Another supermarket, Stop and Shop announced this afternoon that they would open their stores on Thursday morning from 6:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. to accommodate customers sixty or older. No one younger will be allowed to shop during those hours.]

Here in Massachusetts new steps have been taken. Restaurants have been closed except for take out. Libraries, museums, gathering places are closed. Meetings have been cancelled. All schools in the state are closed for three weeks at this point.

The Dow Jones dropped 3,000 points today.

One last thing . . . this afternoon at a coronavirus press conference, the President was asked how he would rate his handling of this crisis. With a straight orange face with white circles around his eyes, he responded that he would rate his performance a ten.   God help us all.

Be kind to yourself and stay safe.   

1 comment:

  1. I saw one expert who agreed with Trumps self assessment. He stated that yes, Trump’s Coronavirus handling was a ten... out of 100.

    ReplyDelete