Friday, March 13, 2020

Crocuses, Concerns, and Coronavirus

First, let's have a few happy photos of crocuses . . .  harbingers of spring. H'mmm . . . Relax . . .


And I  saw my first two robins yesterday.   H'mmm . . . Relax . . .


Wow! Isn't this violet grouping pretty! It may end up on some of the greeting/get well cards that I make. [Photo note: these were all taken with my Nikon 100 - 300 lens.]  H'mmm . . . Relax . . .


On Tuesday, the Crosstown Quilters Guild met, and I turned in this fleece, cuddly throw along with six comfort pillows.


As guild president, I broached the topic of possibly cancelling upcoming meetings due to the Coronavirus crisis as this was the action taken by another guild in Watertown to which I belong. Many members felt individuals should make the decision whether or not to come to our meetings.  (Note: only forty members were in attendance; usually, we have about sixty-five.) In any event, it is now Friday and things have changed rapidly. The executive board today made the decision to cancel at least our next two meetings. Safety is our main concern.

Since this blog acts as my journal, may I just mention the following: the Boston Marathon has been postponed until the fall, the NBA has suspended games as have major league baseball, hockey, the national football league, etc. The Great White Way has been shut down with no plays or performances on Broadway. Concerts have been cancelled. Since Governor Baker (MA) does not want groups of over 250 to gather, this affects many religious groups including the cancellation of daily and Sunday Masses for Catholics. Schools have been closed and many college classes will only  be online. St. Patrick's Day parades have been cancelled as have concerts and film festivals. Travel is being restricted and Disney World, Disneyland, and Universal Studios have been closed. Museums are closed. Supermarkets have rows of empty shelves, and all this is just the beginning. Who could have imagined this a month ago???

It's very scary especially since I tick a number of the boxes that put me at a heightened risk. I plan to crank up the drawbridge of my castle and just stay inside and work on my sewing projects and crafts.  I will still take Emma for our daily walks and will look forward to the gardening season. I am also going to try and post more frequently to offer my readers a smile or two. Lord knows we all need that! We are all in this together, and together, we will get through it.

One last thing, I again encourage you to read Heather Cox Richardson's daily newsletter. She is a professor of history at Boston College, and she offers a clear-eyed view and historical perspective regarding all that is currently going on in our country. It is well worth your time.  You may sign up for her newsletter HERE

Oh, one really last thing, in my previous post I wrote that if you follow my blog by email, you may scroll down to the bottom, and I should have written that you could click on "Web Version" to get the full page. :-)

Oh, one more really, really last thing . . . for some reason a few of the photos in my last post were not showing up; I have fixed that issue.


Be safe.

2 comments:

  1. Good decision to cancel all meetings Janice. Stay well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying catching up on your posts Janice. It is a benefit of being home so much - having the time to read lots of great blogs. Take care. Love your flowers. My daffodils are gorgeous right now!!

    ReplyDelete