Monday, February 12, 2024

The Lincoln Letter and Snow Is Coming


 Today we honor and remember our 16th president who was born on February 12, 1809. It’s appropriate that I have just finished reading The Lincoln Letter, A Petter Fallon Novel by William Martin. It is one of the best books that I have read in the last few years. Martin is a brilliant story teller, and though I have read many books about this bloody period in our history, I came away with a deeper understanding of what life was like for the people who lived in our nation’s capitol during those turbulent times. 

When I reflect on it, I believe my interest in this period stems from knowing about my dad’s paternal grandfather who was an Irish emigrant. He was a gardener who enlisted at the age of forty. The Massachusetts Volunteer Militia was made up of Irishmen and men of Irish descent who answered Lincoln’s call. I have a copy passed down of the History of the Ninth Massachusetts Militia which documents the forming and service of this group. In the back of the book, a few lines are written about each man in  each company. If you were to see this book and examine Company E, you would find a  a small slip of faded pink paper on which in school girl handwriting,  I once wrote “My Great Grandfather” and his name to mark the page. When I was older, before sites like Ancestry came along, I sent away for and received his military records. They contained his enlistment papers, service records, and even the pension request forms from his widow. His first wife had died while he was in service, and after the war was over, he met and married a much younger woman, my great grandmother and then raised a second family.

Why am I telling you this? His last assignment before being released from duty and mustered out was due to serious health issues incurred from long hours of sentry duty along the Potomac. In this novel, the crowded hospitals for soldiers and the city of Washington are a backdrop for the story. 

If you enjoy historical fiction, I highly, highly recommend this suspense filled novel. 

SNOW IS COMING!!!

For the last three or four days, we have been experiencing  near spring-like weather. It even hit sixty degrees on Saturday. Glorious! BUT. . . we, New Englanders, are not easily fooled. I knew that touch of spring was a set up, all part of Mother Nature’s plan. So while I enjoyed taking Emma for walks each day, I waited for the other shoe to drop, and it has as we have a snowstorm moving in over night. Our guild meeting scheduled for tomorrow has been cancelled as have all schools in the area. Along with the snow, we can expect high winds, just a typical nor’easter. It’s supposed to be a quick moving storm, so we will just have to see how much snow Mother Nature brings us.

Bundle up and keep your shovel handy. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I've add The Lincoln Letter to my reading list. My grandfather was born on February 12. He always used to say "All great men were born on February 12!" My niece was also born on February 12. She never knew her great grandfather. Now she says, "All great men and women were born on February 12!" What a hoot!!! I hope the snow comes and goes quickly!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great American, my godchild Kristin, was also born on February 12th. :-)

      Delete