Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Hingham Shipyard, Air Quality Concerns, and Wool Applique Wednesday


This morning I had an appointment at the Hingham Shipyard. For those not from this area, the shipyard today is a place with shops, restaurants, medical offices, apartments and condos. Around the area are signs and photos telling the role of this shipyard between 1942 and 1945. During those three years, 227 ships were built for the Allied War effort.





Today pleasure crafts fill the harbor.


 I only took a short walk after my appointment as we have been receiving air quality warnings. Our air here in Massachusetts seems better than yesterday, though when I returned home I stayed inside. As an asthmatic, I didn’t want to take any chances. For the last few days our sky had been grey, and you were able to smell the smoke from the fires up North.

This poor air quality is caused by four hundred wildfires raging across Canada. The air quality alerts have been issued along the East Coast all the way down to North Carolina. The images from New York on the national news this evening were frightening with the whole city blanketed in an orange smog.


It’s what I call Wool Applique Wednesday  so I broke out a kit that I had purchased a year or two ago. It’s a large piece, and I have been planning to get going on it. There were forty-two pieces of wool in the package. That didn’t worry me, but then I took a look at the pattern which has at least a zillion pieces!!!!!!!! What was I thinking????? Undaunted, I plan to start working on it tomorrow. Wish me luck ;-).

1 comment:

  1. Having experienced living near a huge wildfire, I can relate to the air quality you are experiencing. It was surreal to have an orange tinge to the smoke in the middle of the day! I feel for the Canadians who are enduring the experience as well as all the Americans. One would think that after a couple months, fire fighters could get the burn under control. Mother Nature, however, has her own ideas about that!

    I do like the looks of your wool project. I'm rooting you on!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete