Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Reflections on Reflections

 About twenty plus years ago, the DPW was giving away tiny fir tree saplings on Arbor Day. I had been there to drop off some items for recycling. My brother and I planted it, and it didn’t amount to much for quite a few years. When it grew to five feet, I began decorating it with lights and these ornaments. I did that for five or six years and the little tree grew and grew as trees do;  eventually it grew too tall for me to reach the upper branches. It is at least twenty feet tall at this point.


So, I began hanging the ornaments on the front railings and on the shepherd’s hooks along the fence and in my garden. 


In spite of caps, water gets inside and must be drained from the ornaments before storing them way. Here they are gathered into a large wooden sifter where they can drain. Each year I have fun photographing this scene, and I thought that I would share some photos taken the other day. (All were taken with my iPhone.)

First, an overview of the subject. . . 


Then, I begin going in closer and closer. . . 


Next, I zero in and work the reflections which is my favorite part . . . very cool.




With digital, you can take as many images as you would like. Who knows? Maybe one of these last two images may end up on my Christmas cards next year. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Those reflections are beautiful! As for the tree, my grandparents did something similar. Of course, the tree grew way too tall to decorate; but, it was fun to do for a number of years. --TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet - the tale of the tree that grew so tall and how you are still using the ornaments. These pictures are really pretty - they would definitely make a pretty holiday card!

    ReplyDelete