Monday, January 16, 2023

First Wool Applique Finish for 2023 and MLK Day

 In a recent post,  I wrote about my resolve to do all types of stitching strictly from my stash and of my intention to work on some of my wool applique projects. Last evening, I finished this Simply Sweet January Wool Mat  from Shabby Fabrics


It was fun to stitch, but I wasn’t sure as to how to approach the swirl stitching in the middle. I wasn’t  confident that I could accurately draw the guiding lines for the stitching. After a great deal of thought and one or two failed attempts, this is what I did.


I used a slim exacto tool to trace along the lines on the pattern and around the cuffs of two mittens on opposite sides of the pattern. I then removed the two cuff pieces which would work as registration points when I pinned the pattern over my stitching. Finally, I used a Frixon pen to trace through the slit lines on the pattern. It worked great! For those not familiar with Frixon pens, all traces of the markings can be removed with a bit of heat after stitching.


When all the stitching was completed, I followed my regular wool applique pressing procedure. I always place a white terry cloth towel on my ironing board and then place the stitched wool piece face down on the towel and use a medium heat setting.


It makes the perfect spot to display this Simon Pearce blown glass tree which was a beautiful past Christmas gift gift from my godchild and her family. 



As today we honor the life and legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr., let us reflect on his words.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

The time is always right to do what is right.


Have a peaceful, happy week. 

1 comment:

  1. Those mittens are so cute! How you handled marking the curved stitching line was genius. The stitched line adds the perfect touch to the overall project! -- TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete