Thursday, December 1, 2022

Birds, A Book, and a Santa Star Ornament Finish


 Hi Everyone, Happy Wednesday! 

Early yesterday morning my neighbors called to alert me that there was a hawk in the woods beyond my backyard. They were concerned that I might let Emma out and the hawk might swoop down. The hawk would not be able to carry her off, but it could attack. I went out with her, and indeed, the hawk was watching us. It was a red tail hawk with quite a wingspan. He was back again this morning searching for his breakfast, and he is most welcome to all the tiny critters that he can consume.

When I returned from driving my friend to the grocery store, there were two turkeys in my driveway brazenly staring at me. I telepathically conveyed the message that it was my driveway and that I was indeed going to pull my car in. The message was received and they slowly moved on to the lawn. Well, those were my breakfast and noontime sightings; I wonder what dinnertime will bring???



These roses were from my godchild, her family, and her pets for Thanksgiving. Isn’t the color gorgeous!!!

Book Talk  :  A few weeks ago I read a book which you might find interesting.



The Secret History of Home Economics . . . How Trailblazing Women Harnessed the Power of Home and Changed the Way We Live by Danielle Dreilinger. Isn’t that a mouthful! If you only think about home economics as a required class in middle and high school that may have taught you a bit about sewing, baking, and child care, you have much to discover. The author writes a thorough history of the home economics movement. It is not a dry study but rather it is written with at times a light touch. Reading this, you will discover how women’s lives were enriched and changed by many aspects of the home economics movement. Truth to say, I did not read it straight through but rather a chapter here and there along with other books I was reading. I learned so much from reading this book, and I do recommend it.


Last up, a Teresa Kogut cross stitch design, Santa Star Ornament. The shape was challenging to fully finish, but the wonderful Vonna Pfeiffer, the Twisted Stitcher, offers a video on finishing star ornaments on her blog. I attached the ribbon hanger with a gold star button and added the year. (Helen D. who also offers cross stitching finishing tutorials on Youtube suggests coating the year charms with clear nail polish to prevent them from tarnishing.)


Well, that’s it. Now I’m heading down cellar to begin hauling up Christmas trees and decorations. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Great ornament. I enjoyed the History of Home Economics too. Crazy how the founding women were concerned about the same issues that we deal with today!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete