Monday, May 17, 2021

Bring Back Green Stamps!!!

 I can recall my parents getting green stamps at the grocery store when I was young. When we returned home, my mom would moisten the sheets and paste them in a book. When enough books were filled, one could selected items from the catalogue at the green stamp store. Once my mom saved up enough books to obtain two lovely lamps for our living room. I wonder how many books that took? I think I once got a tiny transistor radio and maybe we got a croquet set.

So, what pray tell brought on this topic? Well, last week I was going through a wooden chest and came across this Twenty Mule Team Borax cross stitch kit. According to the paperwork, I had sent for it back in 1972! The kit with stamped design and floss is still intact, and I just might stitch it up for my sunporch. There would, however, be a whole lot of stitching involved and though it has waited nearly fifty years to be stitched, it may have to wait a tad longer.





It got me thinking of all the things people used to send away for. Most items involved collecting boxtops. Half the silverware in my cutlery drawer was acquired by mom through Betty Crooker boxtops and don’t you love this cookie jar!


In the Thirties and Forties, there were special “dish” nights at the movie theaters. If I am not mistaken, there might be a small blue gravy boat and platter on a shelf in my cellar. My dad used to get a glass each time he filled the tank with Esso gas. 

So, what vintage advertising do you have in your home? Do you remember collecting boxtops to mail away for items?

Gardening Update: I did purchase five bags of mulch and more plants at a different garden center. It is very warm today, so I will hopefully get an early start in the morning. 😊

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! I saved Betty Crocker boxtops for silverware. It was a deal where you could get a set for a $1 with a particular number of box tops. You could purchase one set per address. My back home neighbors saved too as did some of the gals in my college dorm. This was how I "purchased" my "good" silverware before I married. The silverware is stainless steel and I still use it for special occasions. I do remember green stamps. My mom would pour over the book to determine her options. Some of the items would take half a book! I always thought that was funny! I don't remember what she 'purchased' with her stamps though!

    ReplyDelete