Friday, May 14, 2021

A Gradual Return to Normalcy


Let’s start with a quick shot of Emma taken on Tuesday after a visit to her groomer, Cheryl, at Pooch Paws in Rockland. 

 These carnations were a lovely, but totally unnecessary, gift from my friend Kathy last Thursday. She had the distinction of being the first person in my home for more than a few minutes since March 2020. She was here to see what suggestions I might have for restoring two crewelwork pillows stitched by her mom fifty years ago. (Her mom is now ninety-nine . . . God Bless her.)

I suggested that she separate the top and bottom of each pillow and fuse Pellon SF101 on the back of the stitched pieces. SF101 is a very lightweight fusible interfacing.

The first pillow had only a few small worn spots which could then be covered by some small bits of stitching like those in the rest of the piece. Easy fix . . . 

Pillow two will be more of a challenge as there are significant areas where the linen has simply rotted away. There is an intricate chain stitched design around the edges. Here were my suggestions. First, Kathy would need to find a shade of linen which comes close to the original. Next, fuse SF101 on the back of the stitched areas, and then carefully cut the framed stitch edge and using needle turn applique attached it to the new piece of linen. She will have to do the same with the floral center. She can also add tiny buds and swirls in keeping with the original design. I think this will work well and still keep the integrity of the original. It will be a project, but I am sure Kathy will do a fine job. If she sends me a photo, I will be sure to post it.

On Monday, our hardy birthday bunch had planned to meet at the gazebo at the Hingham Beach, but the weather did not cooperate. One of our group offered the community room in her building. Her super agreed, so nine of us gathered there. We were still six feet apart, but we did not wear masks as we are all fully vaccinated. I cannot begin to tell you how much lighter my spirit felt after that gathering.

On Wednesday, another friend came for a visit. She, too, had a problem with a piece of stitching. Her thirty-five year old son and his wife had recently been blessed with a baby boy. Betsy wanted to see what she could do with a quilted wall hanging which had been in her son’s room when he was a baby. The “quilt” was a bit lumpy in some areas and the top had been tied. The aunt who had lovingly made the gift had not been a quilter. Betsy did not want to take it apart, so I suggested that she simply stitch in the ditch around each block. It is a wall hanging for a child’s room, so that should be enough. She also brought her year and a half year old puppy, Mischief. Isn’t that a great name for a dog!!! Mischief was chock full of high energy. Emma who is nine played with her for awhile, but from time to time crawled under one of the Mambo pink plastic Adirondack chairs to temporarily take a break from all the action. 

Now on to my latest FFO . . .  “ Country Cottage Needleworks - May Cottage.” Aren’t the colors bright and fun! I didn’t make any floss changes. This is the third monthly cottage that I have stitched, and I have displayed each of them on this metal stand. There is a magnet attached to the easel’s back, and I glue a washer to the back of each cottage. I try to decorate the easel to fit each month. What were the chances of finding this roll of magenta burlap which matches the design so well? It was even on clearance!!!



Getting back to this post’s title . . . The CDC has come out with major new guidelines about mask wearing and gatherings. Gradually things are improving. Though our state’s adult full vaccinated record stands at 45%, our governor , Charlie Baker, has not lifted any of our state’s restrictions as of yet but changes will be coming.

I hope wherever you live, you are enjoying beautiful weather as we have been since Tuesday. Today it was 70*, and the streak will continue to midweek when we may hit 80*. 

Life is good. Stay safe.

2 comments:

  1. The new recommendations have me a bit worried, I am not sure I am ready to go maskless yet. You have been very busy my friend. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am being very cautious as well. For the most part, everyone is still wearing masks around here even outside at the garden centers. (I have been to a few :-) Still no inside restaurant dining for me . . .

      Delete