Sunday, December 20, 2020

Holiday Traditions in the Time of Covid

 The storm started late on Wednesday night and continued throughout most of Thursday. Thankfully, it wasn't too difficult to shovel, and my awesome neighbors take care of my driveway with their snowblowers. I just have to shovel the front steps, about three feet in front of the garage door, a section of the deck, the steps down from the deck, and an area for Miss Emma. I went out a few times to keep up with it, but it wasn't bad. We had a freeze on Friday which allowed Miss Emma to walk on the surface of the snow. Yesterday and today it is a few degrees warmer, so she sinks down into it. She gets her exercise trying to walk about the backyard.  Due to the blowing and drifting it would be hard to get a true measure, but I would say ten to twelve inches.  All in all, a medium size storm unlike parts of upstate New York and Vermont that received thirty-five to forty inches. Yikes!!! I cannot even imagine having to deal with that amount.

 So, back to the title of this post.  My cousins' dad and his wife always host a pre-Christmas family get together, and I am delighted to be included. With Covid, an in-person party would not be possible, so this is what we did. The gifts for each family were dropped at their dad's home which was the most central spot for all. I delivered my gifts early Wednesday morning. On Friday around noon, there was a knock on the door, and it was my cousin Brian (the dad of the triplets who are now fifteen!!! . . . Some of my readers will remember when they were born.) Besides a gift, he also brought me a delicious lunch. :-) He stood on the front walk and I was at the door; we were both masked. It was a lovely surprise.  

On Saturday, my cousin Kristin called to say she was driving over with gifts from her family and the family of my cousin Linda. Since by tradition, we have Chinese food at this pre-Christmas get together, I called in an order, and she picked it up when she drove through Weymouth Landing. While waiting for her, I shoveled out a Covid safe conversation spot. :-)  :-)   :-)



I sat in front of the garage eight to ten feet away. :-)

Our zoom pre-Christmas get together started at 5:00. My cousin Linda hosted the zoom meeting. She had a wheel which determined whose turn it was to open a gift, and each family had ordered Chinese food.
 

  I have to say that it really was great fun. We would have preferred to be together in person, but this was the next best thing. I grabbed this screenshot to remember the occasion. God willing we will all be together next year.

Oh, just in case you are curious as to what I was wearing, it was a Santa hat with reindeer antlers . . . yes, just the touch of sophisticated elegance for which I am known.

Stay safe. Stay strong. Have hope.

1 comment:

  1. I too can't imagine how one would cope with the snowfall Vermont and New York received. . .although, I know it would be one shovelful at a time. . .over and over again! I liked reading about your family traditions and how you've been able to honor some of them!

    ReplyDelete