Monday, December 14, 2020

An Historic Day - December 14, 2020

 As I write this post, states are casting their votes for President and Vice President in the Electoral College. It is official. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris will become our next President and Vice President on January 20, 2021.

Equally historic, planes, trains, and trucks are transporting our first covid-19 vaccine to selected sites across our country. Health care workers, fittingly, will be the first to receive this vaccine.  Experts did not believe that a vaccine would be ready until next year. Besides the Pfizer vaccine, there are a number of other vaccines being developed. This has been a truly historic accomplishment. Some health care workers will receive their first dose today; their second dose will be administered in three weeks. Though the majority of the population will not receive the vaccine until summer, this is hopefully the beginning of the end to this nightmare. If only people will keep up their guard, wear masks,  and follow the recommendations of health care experts. Today we reached the grim milestone of over 300,000 deaths in our country due to this scourge. 

           ______________          ______________        ______________

Okay, now for some lighter elements. . . In my last post, I told you I had received a package. Here is what was inside. I signed up for the "Stitch Quarterly" program from The Fat Quarter Shop.  In the package, there was a project bag, a pattern, a piece of lovely pale mint 14 count Aida fabric,  floss, floss drops, a needle, and a small tin for storing needles. I love it, but judging from the number of stitches involved it will not be finished for this Christmas.

 
 
I have been working on a number of other Christmas cross stitch pieces including this 4-part free pattern, "Merry & Minty," issued by Brenda Gervais. You may download the 4-parts on her Facebook page.


Last evening on 60 Minutes, Leslie Stalh had a report on the staggering rise in health care costs. Well, yesterday morning while waiting for my printer to do its thing, I was going through some drawers when I came across a couple of interesting items.  The first was a cemetery deed. My paternal great-grandparents had purchased a grave lot in June of 1866.  I didn't recognize a couple of names on the deed, so I will have to check that out. My great-grandparents and my grandparents are buried in Holyhood Cemetery. I used to go each Memorial Day with my aunts and my parents to visit the grave. Even as a child, I thought it was a pretty spot. There is a beautiful tree shading the grave and a chapel near by. . . not a bad place to spend eternity.

On to the Leslie Stahl connection . . . also in the drawer was a bill/receipt that I don't ever remember having seen before. It was the bill for my birth at Santa Maria Hospital in Cambridge in 1951. My mom was in the hospital for ten days, and it cost 214.29!!! In case you cannot make it out: $150 (10days @ $15. Lab Fee $7.50, Pharmacy $7.05, Delivery Room $20.00, Baby Board $27.00, Telephone $2.24, and Radio $.50. Isn't that something!!!  :-)  I love finding stuff like this. :-) I wonder how much a similar stay would cost today???

Lastly, please follow the recommendation of our governor. Those owners of restaurants, gyms, theaters, etc.  that have suffered economically from covid restrictions might not agree, but I think Gov. Charlie Baker (R) has done a very good job here in Massachusetts. 

Stay safe. Have hope. Find a reason to smile. Please wear your mask.

No comments:

Post a Comment