Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Farm Livin' Is the Life For Me


The trims that I was considering for this piece proved not to have enough contrast, so I added a piece of ecru trim instead. My next consideration was where would I put this tiny pillow? I passed by this little red barn piece on my sunporch, and the wheels started turning. 

Feel free to sing along . . .  All together now . . .

"Green Acres is the place to be.

Farm livin' is the life for me. . . 

Land spreadin' out so far and wide

Keep Manhattan, just give me the countryside."

You don't feel like singing? Okay. Anyway, I gathered every farm animal that I could find from the far corners of my house and created this little tablescape for my kitchen table. Silly, I know, but it makes me smile.

The two horses came from my first trip to Ireland while I was in college,  the Belleek pig had belonged to an aunt, the tiny "walker" cow in the foreground is as old as I am,  and the Vermont cow creamer offers the touch of sophisticated elegance for which I am known. :-)

For those too young to remember, Green Acres was a sit com which aired from 1965 to 1971. I hardly ever watched that program as I preferred the other denizens of Hooterville, Kate Bradley and her girls at the Shady Rest in Petticoat Junction which ran from 1963 to 1970. My friends will tell you that I will break out in to that show's theme song at a moment's notice. Just let me see the word "Junction" on a sign, and off I go with a chorus or two or three of "Petticoat Junction." 

All right, enough of that . . . today marks one hundred years since the ratification of the 19th amendment and the granting of women's suffrage. Here is a cross stitch pattern that I hope to work on before the year ends. (Some of this floss is for another project.)

 
Has the postman brought any other cross stitch purchases lately? Well, as a matter of fact, he has. I can not wait to start on this Halloween - Hocus Pocus kit, but I have promised myself to complete the piece upon which I am currently working first. Isn't it adorable!!!


I also bought a kit that I will begin on January First, 2021. It's a temperature tree. Quilters know that there are quilts based on this premise as well. 

 
Each branch represents a month, and you add a leaf for each day based on that day's high temperature. Each floss color represents a range of temperatures.  If you are interested, it is called "Temperature Tree" by Stitchin' Mommy. Stitchin Moomy has an Etsy shop where you can purchase this kit.

So, as you can see, I will have plenty to keep me busy in the months ahead however things go.

That's all for now as I want to watch night two of the Democratic convention. Last night's two hour program was excellent. I wasn't sure how it would be given the covid-19 constraints, but it went off very well.

Stay safe. Have hope. Stay strong. Wear your mask and try to find something to smile about each day.

Oh, by the way,  if the theme from Green Acres has become an ear worm . . . sorry about that. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I do remember those shows although I think my sisters watched them more than I did. Those girls on Petticoat Junction were so beautiful. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete