Monday, June 10, 2019

Shibori Tote Bag


As I mentioned in a previous post, I have fallen down the shibori rabbit hole. It is way too much fun folding and manipulating fabric and then dunking it in the indigo dye. You can't predict how the pieces will turn out and that is half the fun. 

I have already cut pieces for use in an upcoming quilt, and this tote was made from the leftovers. I used a "June Taylor - Quilt As You Go - Pattern Printed on Batting - Alexandra Tote Bag." As you may be able to see, the batting is pre-printed, so you know where and in which order to place your two and a half inch strips. It really was simple. The challenging part for me was that I didn't have enough long pieces, so I kept digging through my scraps searching for similar pieces that I could  join together. 

Shabby Fabrics has a wonderful  video tutorial that I watched while putting my tote together. 


I did make a couple of changes. First, I made a stiff insert for the bottom of the bag. Second, since I'm not crazy about open totes, I added a closure with a large decorative button. The automatic buttonhole gizmo on my machine would not accommodate the large button, so I made it the old fashioned way using zigzag stitches. 

The stiff webbing for the straps was included in the pattern package. This photo will give you an idea of the size of this roomy tote which is about fifteen by fourteen inches.  I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

Last week I purchased a gazing ball to complete my small garden. This white base and the other terra cotta one that I have in another spot were both curbside treasures.


I'd love to be able to show you all the progress that I have made in my big garden, but alas, there hasn't been much improvement. The gardening season has barely started, so there is still hope. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment