Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Hibiscus Quilted Wallhanging - Part Two


It was back on April 6th and 7th of this year that I first discussed my plan to create a quilted wall hanging based on a hibiscus photo that I had seen on another blogger's site. She was gracious enough to grant me permission to use her photo. If you click here, you can see all of the preliminary steps in the process.  After that preparation, the project got put on hold until this morning when I began working on it in earnest. 

I thought I would document the process in hopes that you might find it interesting.  Also, who am I kidding . . . I'm hoping it keeps me focused and working on this project. :-) :-)

I added one more step by adding a vinyl overlay. (I purchased the lightweight vinyl in the home decorating section of Joanne's.) It is a duplicate of my original pattern design.
 

As you click on any of these images, you will be able to see a larger version.  Each individual section is labeled with the color to be used on that piece and each separate blossom part is numbered.


I use an 18mm rotary cutter and a Fiskus finger rotary cutter which I really like to remove each individual piece. I work on only one piece at a time. My fusible of choice is Misty Fuse as it doesn't change the hand of the fabric. After putting the cut fabric shape in place, I tape the paper pattern section back into the master pattern.


I slip the cut shape in place then roll the vinyl overlay out of the way. I use a small Clover iron to glue the piece in place being careful at this point to only touch the iron to the middle of the piece. Since it is only tacked in one small area, it is easy to remove the piece if I want to make changes, and I have already done that several times so far.


So here is the start. It's difficult to see clearly at this point with the vinyl overlay. Next time I will remember to roll it out of the way before photographing my progress.


Wish me luck . . . :-)

2 comments:

  1. About to start Gentleman. Learning from your hibiscus project. See you in September. KW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogspot is giving me some problems; I’ve tried to reply to your comment three times.

      Glad to hear you are doing well. Stay strong!!! Looking forward to seeing you in September. :-)

      Delete