Saturday, June 15, 2019

Saturday Sampler


 My dad's oldest sister, my Aunt Mildred,  always had a fuchsia hanging pot at the entrance to her breezeway.  I love to photographing fuchsia, so I make a fuchsia hanging pot each summer, as well.
Alas, this magnificent white iris below is blooming in my neighbor's yard not mine. It is truly spectacular.



I am sad that I have finished reading  Amor Towles' novel A Gentleman in Moscow. It starts slowly and thus it took me a while to get into it. I kept wondering why so many people had recommended it, but I kept reading and was gradually drawn in. It is perhaps the best novel that I have read in the last ten years. The writing is exquisite.  The protagonist, Count Alexander Rostov, after the Bolshevik revolution is sentenced to permanent house arrest in the Metropol, a grand old hotel in the center of Moscow. Confined from the age of thirty, the young aristocrat seeks to live a life of purpose within the walls of the Metropol.

At dinner the other night, I spoke glowingly of this novel. A friend who had read it did not enjoy it at all. She commented that there was no action in the story. Isn't it interesting how another reader may have such a diametric opinion of the same book? I should add that my friend is a voracious reader; this novel, however, did not capture her interest.

I, on the other hand, found it to be a treasure. The scenes were beautifully rendered and the people with whom the count engages richly drawn. The plot does move, especially after a young child is entrusted to his care.

What I knew of Russian history came from college World History classes and films. This novel taught me much about Russia's turbulent history and perhaps offers insight into the Russian psyche today.

It's a subtle novel, but a rich, finely written one, and I urge you to make the acquaintance of this Gentleman in Moscow. BTW, I read that this novel is in the development stage and will be turned into a television series. I can see that it would make for a wonderful mini series, but please don't wait until then. Read the novel as the writing is too special to miss.



On a lighter note, I picked up this pillow for my sunporch the other day, and being 'the consumer' cut off the attached tag. These tags always make me smile. Had there been at some point a rash of hoodlums racing through department stores slashing off these tags??? What's up with that??? Under penalty of law, I promise to never do such a terrible thing.


For Emma fans . . . she came home from the groomers Thursday afternoon sporting this lovely flower.


Auntie Laurel sent this image along.
 

Those who know and love miniature schnauzers know that one end is bark and the other end tail wagging exuberance. My Emma would bark like crazy at robbers attempting to break in and when they were inside she would promptly roll over begging for a belly rub. Let's  hope that the barking would discourage any would be burglars. :-)

Construction on the new Tufts Library is coming right along. Click on this or any other photo for a larger version.


And finally, just to put a smile on your face . . . . . . :-)


Have a wonderful week.

1 comment:

  1. I just love fuchsias, but sadly I don't have much luck with them. Irises, on the other hand, seem to be easier for me to grow.

    ReplyDelete