Tuesday, June 4, 2019

In My Garden This Week


I've haven't posted much lately as I have been elbow deep in compost, peat moss, mulch, and dirt. :-) Yes, after so much rain, we are finally enjoying glorious days of sunshine. Temps are cool, so it is the perfect weather for gardening
.

I love this side view of the poppy and the soft striped background. It's one of the few poppies still intact.


WARNING: I brake for wooden chairs left curbside. If the seat is rotten or broken, it's even better. I'll find a spot for it in my yard. :-)
    [Note: I was just rereading this post from yesterday and noticed that I had written "break" instead of "brake." I guess I better brake  for pesky homonyms from now on . . . ]  
 
 

As you know from reading my blog, I loved being a middle school teacher. Let me tell you a fun story. On Saturday, I headed to a local garden center to buy a flat of white petunias as I always put a touch of white in each hanging basket that I make.)  No luck . . . but as I was browsing, I heard, "Miss Smith!!!" A woman introduced herself as being one of my students from when I first started teaching in the 70s. Wow! I did remember her and we had a short pleasant conversation. As I was walking back to my car, she proclaimed loudly to everyone, "There goes one of our town's best teachers ever!" What a day brightener!

The story continues . . . Sunday after church I went to a different garden center in search of the same white petunias, and I was successful. After making my purchase, a woman stopped me. She, too, announced that she had been one of my students the year that Central Junior High closed . . . 1981! She handed her phone to her husband and had him take a number of photos of the two of us. She claimed that I hadn't changed a bit and that she had loved being in my English class. (Now, I am probably thirty pounds heavier and my bright red hair has faded to a more strawberry blond, but nevertheless, she recognized me thirty-eight years later. :-)

Yesterday after food shopping at Roche Brothers, I decided to check out Southern Artery Gardens to see if anything there might catch my eye. (I'm truly, absolutely, totally incorrigible when it comes to flower shopping; I simply can't stop myself from visiting every garden shop in the area. I justify it by saying that I am an equal opportunity shopper merely doing my part to help the economy.) So, I looked around eagerly and waited patiently for someone to approach and say that he or she had been one my students. It didn't happen, but I did make the acquaintance of this pretty soft pink Knock Out rose which is now happily planted in my garden.


Here's a photo of my hexi quilt taken on my sunporch. The photo in my previous post made it appear darker than it actually is.


Thanks for stopping by and remember you may click on any image for a larger version.  There is also a box in the right margin where you may enter your email to be notified when I write a new post. 

Have a fun, colorful day.

1 comment:

  1. How lovely to be remembered so fondly by those students. I just love that they talked to you about how very special you were as a teacher to them. I love your beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete