Saturday, April 20, 2019

My Quilting Week in Review 4/20/19


 

Honestly, I don't know what has gotten into me lately, but I am happy to say that it has been another productive quilting week. :-) The blocks for this batik scrap quilt were made quite a few years ago and languished in a bag in the corner of my sewing room. I finally put the top together last summer, but then it just sat there. Sometime after Christmas I pieced the back, but because it wasn't wide enough, I added a length of curved piecing. (In my guilds we call that "back art" and joke that it increases the value. :-) The back actually look much prettier in person.



Each of the center shapes is four sided and as you can see, no two are alike. I fussy cut the centers and coordinated the strips surrounding them to create six inch blocks. The quilting was simple stitch in the ditch. Had I been more ambitious, I might have gone around each center piece, but who knows how long that would have taken!!! I love how it turned out, so I will definitely make another one. Let's hope I finish it a bit quicker than I did this one as it's a great way to use up scraps.


 

I will turn this in on Tuesday at our next Crosstown Quilters Guild meeting for an older child or teen receiving DCF (Department of Children and Families) services. The quilt measures 54x 65 inches.


I mentioned our guild's back table in a recent post. At our last meeting I found fabric to make two pillowcases which will also be donated.





I received this surprise yesterday from my "Ladies Lunch" cousins, their parents, their two cats, their two guinea pigs, and their fish. :-)
 



I have almost finished the machine applique blocks for this kit which I purchased at our guild show in the fall. Here is one of my favorites. . . so sweet.






Let me use this opportunity to wish you all a Happy Easter!


I have been doing some hand stitching, but I'll save that for a future post. Right now I'm going down cellar to finish painting the hanger for the "Loon Lake" wall hanging. I use a dowel and glue a fancy wooden cap on each end and then painted the whole thing in a coordinating color. Then after doing some quick errands, working for an hour or so on sorting and filing, I plan on sitting and hand stitching the rest of the day away. :-)

Life is good . . . 

1 comment:

  1. You have been very busy my friend. The quilt for someone in DCF is just a lovely, lovely gift. You are so special. Thank you for all you do for others. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete