Tuesday, April 4, 2017

The Estate in Spring


Yesterday was another sunny, warm spring day, so I grabbed my camera for a stroll around the estate . . .  the back forty . . . okay, my backyard. My longest lens wasn't quite long enough to do justice do this cardinal in the woods, but he sure was handsome. 

Each year I think about planting more crocus bulbs, but when fall comes around I never get to it. Fortunately, the bulbs are spreading on their own.





Naturally, my estate manager was checking things out alongside me.


In the evening, I attended a meeting of the Quilters Connection guild in Waltham. The speaker was quilt artist, Frances Holiday Alford from Vermont. Her varied pieces are whimsical and colorful and often feature hand stitching which I really like.

 
 

It was interesting to see up close some of her pieces that I recognized from articles in Quilting Arts magazine. You cannot believe how much the small piece above weighed with all of its buttons, beads, and geegaws. They were absolutely delightful! Click on the gallery button on her website to see other examples of her work. I'm a bit sorry that I had not signed up for her two-day workshop, but I came away from her talk with many fun ideas. (One quick tip she passed on: she uses her old sewing machine needles to hang pictures. They are easy to pound into the wall up to the shaft and when removed they will leave only a tiny hole.) 

I am super excited that I was able to sign up at the guild for a two-day "Artful Log Cabins" workshop with Katie Pasquini Masopust!!! 

Speaking of the Quilters Connection, be sure to mark your calendars for our quilt show on June 10 and 11 at Bentley University in Waltham. Don't worry; I'll be sure to remind you.

1 comment:

  1. I have also wondered how one would know how to actually stitch a button in a spot when it is so heavily stitched with buttons already? The effect is cool and I'm glad you had your creative side stoked. Can't wait to see what you do with the information that you learned!

    ReplyDelete