When I'm in the middle of working on a piece, I get a tiny bit obsessed. As noted in my previous post, I had completed the background and the figure of my friend's mother on Saturday. I had a lovely Sunday Easter afternoon at the home of my cousin's mother-in-law. That evening upon returning home I intended to spend a bit of time working on the other figure in the piece. That 'bit of time' ended up being about three hours. Did I mention that I get obsessed with a project? Anyway, toward midnight, I thought that I had everything in place the way that I wanted it, all set to be quilted. That is. . . until the light of the next morning when I took a closer look. Can you see the problem? The background seam showed through the slacks; in person it was even more noticeable. I caught it just in the nick of time before layering the piece.What was a poor quilter to do??? Having spent a fair amount of time on the slacks, belt, pockets, sneakers, etc. I didn't want to start completely over, so I came up with a solution. I made a slightly smaller pair of the pants and then ever so gently and carefully lifted up the fused down slacks to just below the belt. Next, I slid the new 'pantaloons" under the slacks. It worked! No seam line . . . Whew!
FYI - Misty Fuse is my fusible of choice, and I really like to use this Fiskars Fingertip Rotary Cutter for small, intricate pieces.
On Wednesday, my cousin Kristin came with her girls for a visit. We went to lunch, checked out the herring run, made colorful bead bracelets, and had our first ice cream cone of the season at Hornstra Farm in Norwell. Fifteen minutes after I kissed them goodbye, a friend picked me up as we were heading to a restaurant to celebrate another friend's 60th birthday. It was a very, very fun, full day. On Thursday, I met another group of friends for a lovely lunch before heading off to my flute lesson. By the time I returned home, I was exhausted. :-) :-)
Today my friend Laurel came to quilt and I accomplished two things. I put the finishing touches on my latest piece which is now layered and ready to quilt. I also stitched the last three pieces of another block from Yoko Saito's Floral Bouquet Quilts. This piece in the book had sixty-five pieces, but since I'm reducing the size of the blocks, I opted to eliminate a few. My block has a mere forty-seven pieces. :-)
Have a wonderful weekend.