Sunday, June 12, 2022

Book Talk and No Peace in the Kingdom

Book Talk
At the last meeting of the Crosstown Quilters Guild, Jeanne Y. approached me to recommend a novel that she thought I would enjoy, and now I am in turn recommending it to you as well. It’s The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell by Robert Dugoni. The protagonist Sam had been born with an unusual physical feature, red eyes due to ocular albinism. His devoted mother a woman of great faith and determination believes and tells Sam that he will lead an extraordinary life. His equally loving, supportive father tries to prepare his son for the harsh realities and challenges he will face. I have never read anything prior to this by this author who has written many books in the suspense/ mystery genre; this is a different type of book from him. I will tell you that I could hardly put it down and that it is indeed well worth your time.


Before starting The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell, I had read The Long Flight by A. L. Hlad. The novel tells of a young crop duster, Ollie from Maine, who after his parents’ sudden deaths and the loss of the family farm makes his way to England in hopes of joining Britain’s air force. (This is prior to the entry of the US into the war.) Ollie meets a young woman and her grandfather who are raising homing pigeons for the war effort.) I had only been vaguely aware that homing pigeons had been used during the war. This is a good piece of historical fiction. As Queen Elizabeth’s seventieth year on the throne is being celebrated, it is interesting to read in this novel about the Blitz. I couldn’t help thinking of the people of the Ukraine who are today facing the same challenges of bombing raids, devastation, and sheltering in underground stations while trying to keep their homeland free from invaders.



 No Peace in the Kingdom

Well, the turkey situation has improved. Tess and Tom have eight babies!!! The other day Tess was in my neighbor’s yard with one poult while the other seven tiny balls of fluff and feathers were in my yard. Six were scurrying in a single line back and forth along my fence while Tess called to them. Another baby was ignoring his or her mother’s call and was all over my yard exploring; he/she will definitely be Tess and Tom’s problem child. ;-) Eventually, they all made their way back into the woods. 

So, now before opening the sunporch door for Emma, I have to scan the yard for: squirrels, turkeys, bunnies, chipmunks, etc. 

So, are things back to normal? Not by a long shot. . . Wednesday I was once again heading out to do some gardening. I keep my bucket of gardening tools, a hoe, and other things in the enclosed area under my sunporch. I opened the door and froze; there was dirt covering a good length of my long handled hoe and a large mound of dirt in the corner so I closed that door as quick as I could.  There is a small hole outside the door, so it cannot be a large critter. Someone is coming to take a look on Tuesday morning, and trust me, in the meantime, I’m not going anywhere near that area.  

We usually have a hawk or two in the woods who keep down the number of unwanted critters. This year no hawks, only crows which are no help at all.   :-(

Let’s leave this on a happier note. Here’s a look at some color in my garden. This year I chose different plants for each pair of hanging pots: petunias, fuchsias, mandevillas, and impatiens.


So what have you been reading that you would might like to share? I know that for some reason Blogger makes it difficult, if not impossible, to leave comments, so feel free to email titles to  jesmith28 “at” comcast.net
If I receive any suggestions, I will be sure to list them in a future post.

Have an awesome week and stay safe.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for the improvement on the Turkey front and I hope you are able to remove the "squatter" critter soon! As for good books: I've enjoyed "The Rose Code" by Kate Quinn; "Becoming Mrs. Lewis" by Patti Callahan and "Britt Marie Was Here" by Fredrik Brackman.--Terry K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry, for the suggestions. :-)

      Delete