Sunday, May 29, 2022

In My Garden This Week - 5/29/22

My vintage irises are in bloom. My brother bought the peach irises for Mother’s Day at least thirty to forty years ago. The two-toned purple irises have been in the same spot for as long as I can remember. The iris in the bottom left is really a light blue. I brought a few of them home when I sold the home that belonged to my aunts probably thirty years ago. This year the stand of these irises is spectacular. The gorgeous yellow iris came from my godchild’s home. Unfortunately, a beautiful two-toned yellow and purple iris that I purchased last year did not survive the winter.


Other spots of color. . .


A friend is getting ready to move, and so, a group of us recently helped her prepare for a yardsale. Among other things, I came home with a pink iris, this cute birdhouse, and a watering can. The watering can had a hole in the bottom . . . no problem,  I added an inch or two of stones for drainage, compost, and a red mandevilla. :-)


For a number of years, I would meet these ladies at Brewed Awakenings in Hingham where we would practice our Italian conversation skills. It has been two years since we last met. When one of the ladies suggested we get together, I offered lunch in my backyard. (I’m still much more comfortable meeting outside, and besides, my gardens are really quite colorful now.) The weather was perfect, and as long as one doesn’t look too closely, my gardens look lovely. All my planting is done, so next I will tackle the weeding. 


They were not the only visitors to my backyard this week. Peter, who lives down the street, was walking by and stopped in with his two Great Danes. (Peter was once one of my eighth graders many years ago . . . make that many, many years ago. :-) Anyway, they were in the backyard when I let Emma out. She went tearing down the stairs barking away and then suddenly came to a full stop. If you know my Emma, you know that she is usually fearless, but she was soon hiding behind my legs. When the BIG dogs wandered down back, she dashed over to Peter. She has met these dogs individually before, but never have they been in her backyard together. I did manage to get this one photo.


Emma stayed that close for all of about three seconds!!!

Raven is four and Vada, below, is nearly a year. They are sweet, gentle, very large dogs!


Hope you have a great week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment