Thursday, May 5, 2022

Chicks Garden and Another Vintage Photo


 Yesterday, I fully finished Chicks Garden which is a fun chart by Priscilla Blain of Stitching with the Housewives. Though it appears simple, it took me two full weeks of evening stitching! I used an inexpensive plaque from the unfinished wood section at Hobby Lobby and a piece of plaid homespun that I had picked up on the back table at a recent guild meeting to finish the piece.

In my last post, I showed a crazy quilt wallhanging featuring photos from my grandmother’s album. The tulips hid this wonderful photo. 



There are twenty-six people in this image; my grandmother is in the very top row on the left.

There are many excellent books which show you how to make a crazy quilt, but if you would like to incorporate vintage photos, a good reference is Brian Haggard’s Crazy-Quilted Memories.


That’s all . . . short and sweet except to note that prices are SOARING! I had a challenging morning, and to treat myself on the way home from Boston, I stopped at Tony’s on Wollaston Beach to pick up a lobster roll. They are by far the very best around. The price this time $39.95. Yikes! Today I didn’t care; I deserved it, but I won’t be making a habit of it. Later, I stopped to get gas. I had a quarter tank and to fill my suv cost 57.75! Yikes!!! And, just wait until you see the prices at the garden centers!!!

With the horrific war in Ukraine, the furor over the potential Supreme Court ruling on Roe vs.Wade, and the bitter politics dividing our country, I say buy the flowers. I agree with the Persian poet who wrote 

If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft,
And from thy slender store two loaves alone to thee are left,
Sell one, and with the dole,
Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.

I wish you peace and flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment