Monday, May 16, 2022

Gardening and Painting a Barn


 It’s gardening time. I have been spending lots of time visiting various garden centers to see what they have this year, and of course, picking up plants everywhere. :-) It’s only fitting to share the wealth with as many garden centers as possible! I did get a lovely surprise when I stopped by the Artery Garden Center in Quincy. It was late on Tuesday afternoon and after picking up more supertunias, the cashier told me to take one of the bouquets of roses that were left over from Mother’s Day. She explained that the owner knew they wouldn’t last indefinitely, so he wanted them to be enjoyed. Everyone in line was surprised and delighted. 

So, in the past few days I have made fourteen hanging baskets, planted two whiskey barrels, etc.; there is still much to do, but I have planted all that I have purchased. Whew! I also think that might be the end of my plant buying as I feared that I might have needed an intervention! But seriously, we need all the bright, happy flowers we can get. Who could resist this gorgeous hibiscus?


So, what’s up with painting a barn? Is there a barn behind my castle on my estate? No, no, and no. It was an unfinished piece from 141Design Company on Etsy. This company features many pieces on which to present cross stitch pieces. The barn is made of thin plywood and comes in separate pieces to be painted. The pieces can be stained or painted. On a flosstube video, Chantelle of 141 Design Company showed how to paint and assemble the piece. She used chalk paint, but I used acrylic paint that I had on hand. She said not to worry if it didn’t turn out well as you could always repaint it.


Fortunately, I love how mine turned out. I will glue a magnet in the center, and then I will be able to attach various cross stitch pieces. In case you are interested, I used a basic red with a bit of black mixed in on the barn boards. The silo is silver and the silo topper is silver mixed with a bit of black. Fun! I also painted a beehive which I will show in a future post. Now I just have to finish the cross stitch pieces.


Finally, here’s a meme sent along by friend Laurel. :-)


Stay safe. Stay creative. Buy flowers. Enjoy this glorious weather.

=========================================================================

A somber, horrifying statistic . . . the death toll from Covid in the United States has reached 1,000,000.

1 comment:

  1. Your barn is fabulous! That hibiscus is a luscious color too!--TerryK

    ReplyDelete