Wednesday, December 8, 2021

TREE-mendous Disaster Averted

 


My cousin Linda came on Sunday to deliver a wreath that I had purchased from her son’s scout troop. It was a lovely visit, and while here she brought up this tree in sections from the basement. I had originally had two fake trees but two years ago, I had tossed out the older one. ( I used to have one in the living room and another on the sunporch.) Last year, I didn’t have the heart to set up a tree, but this year I was determined to do so even if I would be the only one to see and enjoy it.

On Monday, I decked my halls. The place looks very festive with all my Christmas quilted wall hangings and other decorations. There is a small tree with my White House ornaments and another tree for my cross stitch ornaments which you will see in an upcoming post. So, yes, it is all quite festive. On Tuesday, I hauled out my dad’s old wooden sled and fastened it to the lamppost. I added a big red bow and some ornaments. I also set up a spotlight focused on my red front door and attached more ornaments to the railings. Festive. . . 

Today it was time to decorate the tree. I love pulling out and hanging each ornament. Things were going swell and I was nearly finished when I got the uneasy sense that the tree was beginning to slightly sway. I leaped for it in the nick of time as it began leaning toward me. I steadied it and began removing the soft ornaments and tossing them on the floor. Thankfully, the Lord blessed me with long legs so I was able to stretch out my leg to drag the cover of one of the boxes over next to me. With one hand holding the tree upright, I gingerly removed each glass ornament and placed it in the box cover. I am ecstatic to report that not one ornament was broken!!! Whew!!!

I mentioned that I used to have two artificial trees and while the other tree was gone, the second stand had not been thrown out. I thought I had the right stand, and all had been fine until I began adding the ornaments. The other stand will definitely get tossed tomorrow. :-)

So, I took the tree apart, switched the stand, put the tree together again, replaced all the ornaments, and, you guessed it, it looks very festive!!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment