Saturday, December 18, 2021

Countdown to Christmas


I am thrilled to report that as of 3:00 this afternoon all the presents that I have bought are wrapped and labeled! Yippee! It was while wrapping gifts yesterday that I decided I needed to buy two more gifts to somewhat balance things off. So, at 9:00 this morning I headed to the Derby Street Shops in Hingham. It was cold, not overly crowded at that point, and the holiday music was playing. Most everyone was  wearing a mask. I was able to make my purchases in short order.


It’s a shame that there is so much glare in this window photo as it is a lovely display. Here’s another beauty.

One more  . . . 


I have always loved holiday window displays. Locally, Remicks in Quincy had the prettiest windows when I was young, and in the days before malls and plazas, everyone would also take the train “in town”  (to Boston) to shop. It was always a delight to see the windows at Filene’s and Jordan Marsh. Usually, it was coupled with a visit to see Santa and the Enchanted Village. Some of you, I know, will remember those days. ;-()

Did you know that on Youtube you can view programs featuring store holiday window displays from all over this country and other parts of the world? The windows from Harrods in London used to be spectacular but now are little more than vehicles for product placement. 

I also managed to get my Christmas cards out on the 13th. Quick story - I was driving to the East Weymouth Post Office when I spotted four turkeys going around and around and around the base of a tree in someone’s front lawn. It was mesmerizing as they just kept circling it and occasionally flapping their wings. Only a turkey would have pulled over to watch their antics, so I kept going. At the post office there was a large poster illustrating the various holiday stamps available. I asked the clerk for the religious stamps, but she said they were all gone. Okay, I thought,  I’ll go with the Santa ones… no luck as those, too, were all gone. She informed me that they had had a large shipment of holiday stamps, but they had flown out the door in a matter of days. I guess that bodes well for the postal service. They had only one holiday stamp still available, an otter in the snow!!! Yes, siree, nothing says Christmas like an otter in the snow! I bought the flag stamps instead. Oh, on the way home I spotted the turkey quartet carrying out their same maneuvers around a tree across the street from where I had previously seen them. Things such as that make me smile and heaven knows we can all use a few smiles at this point.

 Bye for now…


            ===========================================================

Things appear to be going south rapidly. Last night some people were already in their seats at Radio City Music Hall to see the “Christmas Spectacular” featuring the Rockettes when an announcement was made that due to Covid, that performance and all remaining performances for the season would be cancelled. Hamilton and other Broadway shows have temporarily closed down as well. The NFL and NHL have had to postpone a number of games. On tonight’s news it was reported that Harvard has told its students not to return to campus after the Christmas break. 

I’ve said this before, but I’m about ready to crank up the drawbridge and remain in my castle to spring. Please stay safe.

1 comment:

  1. As a kid, I heard of the decorated store windows in the big cities. Living near a big city, I got to enjoy them as an adult. I hear you about your castle. I too am staying closer to home.

    ReplyDelete