Thursday, July 29, 2021

Yes, There Are Good People

 This will be a short post about something remarkable that I saw this morning. I was on I-95 heading south to an early morning flute lesson. Things were going smoothly until I neared Walpole where the traffic began to slow. There were signs indicating road work ahead, and I hoped that I wouldn’t be late for my lesson. Soon the traffic came to a complete stop. Next, I noticed a few cars pulling off either side of the road and a number of people running along the edge and across the road. Though I wasn’t able to see anything, I knew that meant there was an accident ahead. After a few more minutes, my lane of traffic began crawling forward. As I approached the accident, I saw one car off the road in a ditch and another car which had flipped and was now resting on its roof. The police had not yet arrived, but the driver of the overturned car was removing items from his car. His car was mangled and facing in the wrong direction. At this point, some of the people who had rushed to help were slowly returning to their cars though a group had remained with the drivers.

Then I noticed a car in the middle lane. Two ladies got out and began removing brooms and mops from their trunk. They then proceeded to sweep the glass and pieces of twisted metal off the highway. A man ran over and grabbed a broom to help. 

The whole scene was remarkable. . . the people leaving their cars and racing to help . . . the women sweeping the road to clear the debris. . . Yes, there are good people.


Later this afternoon, I stopped at the cobblers. I thought my fellow stitchers would appreciate seeing this machine.

2 comments:

  1. It only takes one person to step forward and then others will do likewise. It is heartening to hear accounts that there are good people and you caught them doing good works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice that all of those people stopped to help when needed, hops no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete