Friday, June 25, 2021

Thrifting Fun on Cape Cod

 As I mentioned in my previous post, our group enjoys visiting thrift shops on the Cape. According to a brochure that we picked up, there are thirty-seven thrift shops on the Cape; we visited seven of them. This six inch vase ($2.00) was one of my finds. Rather than build suspense, let me show you my favorite find.


It is marked Haviland France with the initials PW. Did I need this? No, but I loved the colors, the design, and it was only ten dollars. It is now on my dining room table.

I do have two rules that I try to follow. First, do not buy anything big. Second, think about how you will use the item and where you will put it. I made the first rule after having brought home a heavy, solid mahogany bureau a few years ago.  It barely fit in my Rav 4, and I had to hire someone to move it upstairs for me. Still and all, it was a good purchase.

Note: the bureau did have a somewhat funky odor. Here is how I solved that problem. I bought a can of coffee and put coffee on a tray or in a bowl in each drawer and closed the drawers. I replaced the coffee with fresh coffee after a week, and by the following week all traces of the odor were gone. That’s your tip for the day.

In no particular order, here are the rest of my finds.


The shape of this bee platter ($6) was unusual, and I may use it as a serving piece, but it will be great to display small, bee-themed cross stitch pieces when my tiered tray is full.


Speaking of stitching, I added this never opened zip purse kit ($2) to my stash.


This cross stitch kit ($3) contained a pattern which I do not intend to stitch, but there was floss and a nice piece of light blue 14 count aida fabric which is the count that I prefer.


The mug rack was $3.00. The red tomato teapot and cookie jar had belonged to my Aunt Alice who was an excellent cook and baker. That cookie jar was always filled with yummy treats.


I will display small cross stitched pieces on this red, metal recipe box ($5) by glueing a small magnet to the back of the stitching. The pieces can then be stored away inside.


I never look at clothing, but this scarf ($2) caught my eye.


Finally, I’ll add this plate ($5) to my Easter/spring decor. 


The prize for this trip went to Linda B. who found a lovely black,  cocktail dress for $3.00 marked down from $5.00! Bargain!!!

I did pick up a few small frames which I will show you when I put them to use.

Keep cool wherever you are this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Such wonderful finds. I love the coffee idea, I will have to keep that one tucked in my brain for future use. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of the coffee as a way to get rid of orders. That was a great tip! I loved the bunny plate and your favorite find is special for sure!

    ReplyDelete