Monday, June 28, 2021

An Historic June Heat Wave

 Hi Everyone! Let me turn the fan facing you. There is that any better??? Here in Massachusetts we have had our seventh day of 90+ temperatures this season, and it isn’t even July yet. We get on average nine days with  90+ temperatures, and we will reach that by Wednesday. Yesterday at 9:00 Mass the fans made the air cool enough, but the humidity was something else. I had to peel myself off the pew or kneeler each time I moved. (We, Catholics, do a lot of standing, sitting, and kneeling, and I stuck to everything! :-()

You will not hear me complain though as I have central air. My thoughts are with those in the Southwest and especially those in the Northwest where they are experiencing record high temperatures. 115 degrees is unheard of there. I don’t remember the Northeast ever being any higher than 105, and that seldom ever happens. It makes our 97, 98, 97 temps this week seem much more tolerable.

Yesterday afternoon was awesome as I went to my cousin Freddie’s 12th birthday party where we celebrated all four members of the family with July birthdays. I cannot tell you how happy I was to head out back at my cousin’s home and see all seven of my young cousins who range in age from nine to fifteen. They are getting so big!!! It was a warm, but totally wonderful day seeing everyone in person. My cousin Brian took this photo of the gang.


Another sign of a return to some normalcy . . . this afternoon I had my first flute lesson since March 5, 2020. Here’s Emma monitoring one of my practice sessions earlier this week.


Don’t tell my teacher, but I was considering giving up my flute lessons which I have been taking for many years. Why didn’t I? Every article that you read offering tips on keeping your mind sharp as you age lists playing an instrument as one of the top five recommendations. Now, don’t tell my teacher, but over the past fifteen months I was not a very dedicated flute student only picking up my flute from time to time in spurts. I just didn’t have the heart for it. The good news is that my teacher at no point dissolved into tears during today’s lesson. In fact, she seemed to be doing a whole lot of laughing. . . gee, I wonder why????? I have been taking lessons from Donna for at least fifteen years. She, too, was a teacher in Weymouth. She has moved several times during that period, but I have always managed to find her. :-()

On my way home I made a quick stop at Hobby Lobby, and what to my wondering eyes should appear but a few Christmas items on the shelves and bins waiting to be unpacked. Get your lights now before they are gone. Can you believe that! We haven’t even had the 4th of July yet! It’s nuts!!! 


I’ll leave Emma fans with a photo from last week after her visit to Pooch Paws in Rockland. Her groomer always does a great job.


Keep cool everyone. Take it easy, stay hydrated, and please stay safe.

2 comments:

  1. Christmas lights before the 4th is totally crazy?? Glad you have central air. It was 93 here in the Pacific NW and we decided it was "cool" compared to the previous two days. The heat wave here was unheard of too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played flute in elementary school and I have to admit I was pretty bad at it. I am impressed you are playing. Christmas this early? No, please no! Stay safe this weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete