Sunday, October 6, 2019

Exquisite Antique Silk Log Cabin Quilt



On Friday, I went with my friends Edith and Laurel to  the Concord Piecemakers Quilt Guild Show in Acton, Ma, and the Rising Star Quilt Show in Lexington, MA. Both show had stunning quilts on display. When we entered the church where the Concord Piecemakers had their show, I spotted a sign "Vintage Quilts for Sale" pointing upstairs. Up we went. There were quite a few cotton, antique quilts spread on the tables, but at the end of the room I zeroed in on this exquisite silk quilt. I knew that it would be coming home with me, and it did!!!

There was no label on the quilt. Evidently, a woman had donated these quilts to the guild because the family didn't want them. That is a shame.

All of the silk log cabin blocks are handsewn. With a few exceptions, the blocks have retained their bright colors. It probably has been stored away. Though a few of the logs have frayed, split, or come apart, for the most part, the quilt is in very good condition given its age. I have repaired vintage quilts before, so I may or may not attempt to fix these spots. It is definitely not a quilt that you would use, but rather just put on display.

I brought it to a meeting of the Herring Run Quilt Guild yesterday morning to see if a couple of knowledgeable members could help me date it. I had tried to do some research on silk quilts, and I came up with some interesting information. One article, "Rare Quilts from the Smithsonian's Collection to Go on View" indicated that from the 1870s to the 1920s, the silk industry flourished in  America. "Paterson, New Jersey, was known as America's "Silk City," and produced miles of silk fabric. By the 1880s, even girls and women who worked in factories were able to afford silk dresses for "Sunday best." The article is short but makes for interesting reading. Here is another interesting fact; the Smithsonian's collection of quilts and quilt related items are accessible online here.

This information in the article coincided with the opinions of my fellow guild members who placed this quilt from that same 1870s - 1920s time period.


As you can see, the maker had a lovely color sense. The block above is one of my favorites.





In the photo below, you are able to see the pink damask backing and the crocheted lace edge around the entire quilt. 


 I plan to display it on a quilt rack in my dining room out of direct sunlight. Jackie L., from our guild, suggested that I keep a covering over it to protect it from dust and sunlight when I don't have company. She also said to periodically fold it in different ways to prevent permanent creases. I do that when I fold my own quilts, and it is good advice to follow.

I would love to know your thoughts about this quilt. It is my understanding that Blogspot does not always allow readers to leave comments. Why that is I do not know. I have found that I am also sometimes not allowed to comment on others' blogs as well. You may always reach me at my email -
    jesmith28("at" symbol)comcast.net.

I will treasure this quilt always, and I will be sure to place a label on all the quilts and wall hangings that I make.


For Emma fans: Here she is game day ready. Brady and the boys are now 4 - 0. Go Pats!!!

1 comment:

  1. The quilt is exquisite, I am so glad you brought it home where it can truly be enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete