Thursday, September 12, 2019

Wool Applique - Schoolhouses and Apples


When I saw this September wool applique kit offered by Shabby Fabrics, I knew that I would have to purchase it. Schoolhouses and apples . . . how could I resist?  :-)


Wool applique is one of my favorite forms of hand stitching because it is so relaxing and easy to do. 


Have you given wool applique a try? If not, you definitely should, but I warn you it may very well become addictive. There are many ways to prep your wool applique, and Youtube offers many how to videos. I use the method shown in these first two videos from Anna at the Woolie Mammoth - Quilt Roadies blog.





Black Mountain Needleworks has a very good article "Working with Wool" which discusses the difference between felted wool and wool felt. They sound like the same thing, but they are different.


My advice would be to start with a small kit that includes the pattern, wool, and floss or thread. The pattern will no doubt include a stitching guide. The piece above is primarily done with a simple blanket stitch. The piece I am currently working on will allow me to include a larger variety of stitches. 

If you find that you enjoy wool applique and you would like to explore incorporating other stitches, I would suggest Sue Spargo's book, Creative Stitching, which includes step by step instructions and illustrations for seventy stitches. It is a very good reference text. One further suggestion would be to be sure to get the 2017 edition as it is spiral-bound which makes it easier to use. 

National School Picture Day . . . 

Who knew that there was even such a day? On a number of TV programs this morning hosts were showing their school photos, and so, just for fun I decided to show one of mine.


Yes, this curly, red headed moppet was me in fourth grade. That's your smile for the day.

1 comment:

  1. Your photo is so adorable! i posted about your hibiscus quilt on my blog today. You did such an incredible job!

    ReplyDelete