Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Crosstown Quilters Guild - Mystery Quilts


Yesterday was the first meeting of the Crosstown Quilters Guild's 1999-2000 season, and a summer of sewing activity produced an impressive show and tell session. Twenty-eight members also brought their completed mystery quilts. This quilt was designed by Laurie G. who runs our BOM ("Block of the Month.") It was interesting to see the impact made by the various color schemes.



At times, it was a bit like viewing Wilson from the old "Home Improvement" series who would peek over the fence to impart a bit of wisdom to the main character played by Tim Allen. :-)


We also welcomed ten lovely ladies who have joined our merry band of quilters. :-)

On Saturday, the speaker at the first meeting of the Herring Run Quilt Guild was Beth Heftler of EvaPaige Quilt Designs. She taught an afternoon class on her Accordian Sewn HSTs. I had heard her speak previously on this subject at another guild meeting, but I didn't quite get it. I do now after attending the class. :-) She has a new book and a three part demonstration on Youtube. Just search for EvaPaige Designs if you interested in exploring this method of making scrappy half square triangles.

I've been reading quite a bit lately, but not much that I would recommend.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I loved A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles, so I was eager to read his first novel, Rules of Civility. Sorry,  though I finished it, it didn't hold my interest without a struggle.

Most of the works that I have been reading on my Kindle at bedtime have been in the cozy mystery genre, and therefore while pleasant enough to read not all that memorable.

I will recommend one novel, Marie Bostwick's From Here to Home. I am not usually a fan of quilt related novels as in general I find the writing lacking, but I did enjoy this novel that I picked up on the remainder table at Barnes and Noble. Mary Dell Templeton, host of fictional TV show Quintessential Quilting, is a feisty, fun, determined protagonist. The novel is filled with warmth and humor, and I am pretty sure you, too, would enjoy the folks living in Too Much, Texas. 

What have you been reading and recommending to your friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment