Thursday, August 15, 2019

In My Garden This Week - 8/15/19

 It's another near perfect day in the neighborhood. I'm heading into Mass Eye and Ear later this afternoon for a follow-up after my recent ear surgery. Fingers crossed the news will be good. Anyway, I haven't posted an "In My Garden This Week" post for a while, so here goes.


The dish plate hibiscuses are in bloom and make quite a statement. You might note the small yellow teapot in the top left corner. I pick teapots up when I see them at thrift shops or yard sales. To some I have added a small strand of clear beads coming out of the spout to suggest water. They add a touch of whimsy to my garden. :-)


Instead of jumping from project to project, I have been concentrating on my hibiscus wallhanging. Here is a close up of one of the hibiscus petals. Normally I would just zigzag around each element, but I thought this piece called for something more. As you may recall from earlier posts, this quilted hibiscus piece was based on a photo that I saw on another blog.

I used all kinds of thread, and I will discuss that more in an upcoming post. Let me say that the variegated thread seen here was Superior Fantastico thread which was perfect for this section.


Now, I'm sure my quilter readers and friends are saying, "Why look at those even stitches!!! I had no idea that she could free motion quilt like that." Well, the truth is, I cannot!!! I keep my pressure foot down and  my feed dogs up the whole time. I stitch one way, lift , turn, and stitch back the other way. . . stitch  . . . turn . . . stitch . . . turn . . .  You get the idea. I dabble with free motion stitching, but I would not take the risk of ruining this piece after I have put so much effort into it. As you can see, by gently manipulating the fabric, I can even make curvy lines. :-)

I have at this point finished the entire flower and am starting on the leaves and the background.


On Monday, my cousin Linda and her boys ages ten and seven came for a visit. They knew just what they wanted to do:

1. Play with Emma
2. Have lunch at Jimmy's Diner 
3. Go to Hornstra Farms in Norwell for ice cream

We walked to Jimmy's Diner and along the way passed a neighbor's yard with a very large boulder. They couldn't get over how big it was, so I told them that after lunch, I would take them to see a really, really, really big rock.

Sure enough, after lunch we headed to House Rock Road which is not far from my home. There is a small parking lot, a swing set, and a basketball court, but the main attraction is House Rock. To say that they were impressed would be an understatement. They could not believe it.


Later, I researched House Rock and learned a few interesting facts. This boulder was believed to have been deposited here by a glacier about 10,000 years ago. Geologists refer to it as an "erratic" because there are no other rocks of this type in the area. Finally, it is one of the largest totally above ground erratics anywhere. The Madison Boulder in Madison, NH, is almost twice as big, but most of it is below ground. Who knew that Weymouth's big rock had such a claim to fame?

Before reading further take a good look at this second photo. Do you see anything?


People in bygone days claimed that it resembled the profile of Queen Victoria. I can see the eye and nose and I guess I can make out a face. From a different angle some people see a sphinx. What do you see? You may read more about House Rock here, here, and here.

And so ends today's geology lesson. Rock on!!!!!!

Update . . .  

Hear Ye . . . Hear Ye . . . Hear Ye!!! 
 Just a quick happy update on my follow-up appointment this afternoon. I am thrilled and relieved to report that my hearing has improved and is expected to continue to do so over the course of the next month or two for which I am beyond thankful.


This is the million dollar view from the seventh floor cafeteria at Mass Eye and Ear. These images were taken with my iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment